Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tunnel Vision



Between now and New Year's Day, one of my favorite games involves psychic readings for the coming year. I'm not talking about doing the readings for others; I ask my friends to read for me. When I ask, inevitably most of my friends will initially say, "But I'm not psychic," or "I don't know how to do a reading," or "I can't." What happens next is I say, "Just close your eyes for a moment, take a deep breath, then visualize me sometime in 2011. What do you see?" Within seconds, my friends are reading like professionals. Like I always say, we are ALL shamans, every one of us. We all have a third eye that will open if only we bother to take a breath or two, let go of the "can't" mindset, get curious.

We're all psychic, we're all shamans - and yet we all have blind spots, too. Oh man, do we ever. The biggest problem with psychic readings is the interpretation of what comes through. You know that saying lost in translation? It works in the realm of psychic vision, too. Every image, sensation or emotion that arrives through the ethereal is filtered, just like "real world" information, though our values, our world view. Interpretation of astral messages is likewise shaped by individual history. All the adventures of our lives color the way we perceive everything, both psychic and "real."

I'm thinking this morning about Betty Friedan, the incredible visionary whose book The Feminine Mystique radically changed American society. The book is well worth reading - wow. She saw through the cultural norms of the '50's, she did her homework, she figured it out and wrote about it so articulately. Towards the end of the book she writes about what happens when there is no national sense of purpose, when national identity is lost. It's so interesting to think about.

After that, she loses it a little bit. For instance, she has nothing good to say about the birth of the counterculture. She could see so much, but when it came to the beats, she didn't perceive that in order to punch through the feminine mystique, through the national regression that was 1950's sociey in America, we were going to need a whole lot of beat poetry, we were going to need Elvis, Bob Dylan and then the Beatles, James Brown, Jimi, Janis, psychedelics and a whole lot of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. According to Betty we were all just supposed to snap out of the era of the Flintstones, grow up.

But of course it didn't happen that way, wouldn't, probably couldn't have unfolded in such a mature manner. We had to act out, seriously act out. Betty Friedan could see so much, but she didn't see it all. I should keep this in mind when I get all involved and uppity about my sense of what is and what isn't, especially in terms of what is yet to come. No one (except God) can see The Big Picture. And yet - it's so fun to try, yes? I say yes! Happy Saturday, y'all. Shalom.

15 comments:

ellen abbott said...

so how do they see you in 2011?

Reya Mellicker said...

They see me peaceful and happy, in a good rhythm. They see me reconnecting with an old passion I forgot about.

No one yet has seen me in Poland. I really hope to go, and of course I CAN go even if no one "sees" me there, but it sure would be encouraging.

Elizabeth said...

I SEE you coming to see me in NY!!!
or maybe me managing to get down to Washington.
Solstice approaches......

Val said...

i just love coming here - you make perfect sense. sometimes i feel i have to pass a message - it just arrives in my head - no spectral vision or anything scary. and i know i have no special skills, its just being aware and opening up to possibilities i guess? then i get goosebumps. Those readings could be fun. thanks Reya x

Reya Mellicker said...

Elizabeth I'm feeling it! I'm seeing it!! A long long long overdue trip to NYC. Yes.

Val, as you know I love stopping by your blog as well. I am always in awe, reading about your life. Always

steven said...

reya - this really intrigues me. i've got three oracle sets. a tarot deck, my father's set of runestones, and the i ching. i know i need to use one of them but i haven't used the first two - ever. they've been waiting. i like the i ching a lot because it is so familiar to me. i'm waiting to know what to do but i feel the need to open the door to the future. lucky you to have people who know you and can read the future for you!! steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Steven will you read for me in 2011? I'll be happy to return the favor if you like. Let me know.

Unknown said...

Indeed the journey of opening the third eye to an ever widening, deepening, multidimensional perspective is the antithesis of tunnel vision. fwiw, (and after the holidays of course), I see you completing Frankl's book and perhaps diving into another chapter in history as recounted in Adm. Denton's memoir.

These two narratives may be vicarious portals and thresholds to go through and cross over en route to your trip. The above writings add facets to understanding the groundswells and ripples that we've collectively surfed and those that lap at our feet even now. What's more, the most tried and true shamanic souls I've ever met have had a solid grasp of what moccasins they've walked in and which ones they haven't and how this limits and expands their perspectives. Best wishes & may 2011 be an eye-opener : )

karen said...

Hi Reya just been catching up on a few weeks of your life.. I do wish you a peaceful and fulfilled 2011,and that trip to Poland, I am thinking it into existence like mad for you :)

Pauline said...

What you see - both with your photographic eye and your inner eye - is fascinating. Often you lift me out of my comfortable this-is-how-I-see-the-world mode and into the chaos. I always come back to my little corner with an enhanced world view :) So, here in my corner, even though I only know you from your writings on this blog, I closed my eyes and pictured you in 2011. And? Poland will change you in unexpected ways.

Reya Mellicker said...

Pauline! Thank you!! Your writing and images open me to brand new terrain as well, especially your poetry. You inspire and remind me how deep and complex this world (and we) really are. Thank you.

Karen? THANK YOU!!

And thanks, Zen, for the book recommendation. after the holidays, yes.

steven said...

yes! steven

Moonroot said...

Love, love, love this post. As always, love your take on life. Love you! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hi Reya! If you liked the Feminine Mystique you will be interested in a new book coming out soon by Stephanie Coontz called "A Strange Stirring - The Feminine Mystique and American Women at the Dawn of the 1960s".

The book introduces us to the dilemmas and discontents of the wives and daughters of "The Greatest Generation". It should be really interesting read. Comes out in Jan '11

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks Alex. I will definitely pick it up. I love Mary Greer's book about the women of the Golden Dawn.

Cheers!