Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sometimes I wonder what makes me tick



Have I been thinking more about the Baby Boom, about the Holocaust? Yes I have. Did you know that there is always a baby boom after a war ends? It makes sense; nature abhors a vacuum. Remarkable, though, is that the baby boom in the U.S. after WWII lasted ten years longer than any of those who study these things expected. I haven't done the math, but it seems like the natural order of things was far more disturbed after WWII. Not only the holocaust, but the atomic bombs, wiped out a huge number of our species all at once. The energetic reverb must have been incredibly powerful.

I started reading Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Bloody hell, it is bringing me down. Just now, only a few days away from winter solstice, is no time to read the intimate details of one man's experience in Auschwitz, for heaven's sake. What was I thinking?

I'll put aside the book, and further contemplation of that dark storm, until later, at least until after the holidays. It's there, in the back of my mind, forming the plot line in my dreams and coming up in my heart and soul with some frequency.

For the next few days, everything has to be all about the light, so I must eat, drink and make merry. After that I can get back to my gloomy thoughts.

Cheers!

15 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

There was something funny about the word Cheers! coming right after gloomy thoughts. I'm still smiling.

Reya Mellicker said...

It is kind of funny, isn't it?

Angela said...

I don`t want you to have gloomy thoughts. I know they have their right to be heard and felt, but I want them to give way to good and joyful thoughts. I want the world to be BETTER now. And us humans to have learned. I want that. Amen.

Anonymous said...

I think we need to dwell on the happy and beautiful - the regeneration of the human spirit.Respectful acknowledgement. Gloom is not an area I feel you're at home in Reya. It kinda saps strength and you are one strong woman. I know without darkness there is no light, but it is the actual light that illuminates a journey...yes,an illuminated journey. I would want that for you.x

Rebecca Clayton said...

I'm convinced that the ridiculous, misinformed talk about Nazis and Hitler from all the people talking politics is stirring up some "bad stuff." (I'm sorry I don't have the vocabulary to talk about these sorts of energies, but perhaps you know what I mean.)

For heavens' sake--in the Pocahontas County race for family court judge, one candidate compared the other to Hitler.

Please be careful as you pursue your work--but of course, you know more about these things than I do.

Don't forget to have plenty of fun.

Reya Mellicker said...

Rebecca I think you are spot on, and may I say you do a great job of describing the energies. I read today that the Holocaust memorial in Berlin has developed cracks. Is that weird or what??

Angela and Pam: AMEN sisters. Amen.

I went out for dinner tonight with dear friends. I believe in the light. I do. xx Thanks.

shalom

ellen abbott said...

Oh yes please Reya don't do anything to delay the light.

steven said...

reya - i think the beauty of frankl's writing is that he saw that the deep mapping of life, the very best stuff, is present in every moment of living. even though everyone suffers sometime, somehow, sometimes for an eternity and some people even choose to suffer. conscious suffering - the most worthy form of suffering. there's learning and beauty in all of it. like in wintertime. a berry in the snow - it's the most exquisite beauty. it makes me say thank God!!! thanks for all of this. steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Steven I know you are right, but ... I need to wait till after winter solstice to get back into the book. You understand, right? Right. Thanks.

Kerry said...

I think it is wise to put the book aside for awhile. There are other things to read and to listen to, and the book can wait.

Jo said...

No rush. The heavy lifting can be done after the light increases, yes?

I say yes. Enjoy the holiday season. You'll feel stronger after them. L'Chaim!

Pauline said...

And so the dawn goes down to dark,
While shadows paint the frozen bark,
And to the next dawn I must hark
And to the next dawn I must hark.

The light always comes round. You just need eyes to see it...

Pauline said...

ooops - hit the return too soon. Your photos and your thoughts show that you're capable of seeing light where others might miss it. Follow your instincts - you know they're accurate :)

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks! Yeah, there's no rush. Now I can read the Keith Richards book - much better suited to the holiday season, oh yeah.

Nancy said...

I read the book in college. Not one for holiday cheer!