Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ethereal



If I were a poet I would write a beautiful piece about the silvery sunlight of winter solstice. The light at this time of year is so precious, not only because there isn't very much of it, but because it's unlike the light at any other time of year. Generally, sunlight is gold, right? In spring, it's a light green-gold, in summer: hot gold initially, that sinks slowly into a thick orange-ish color by August. When fall arrives, the sun becomes 18 karat melancholy gold. As winter approaches, the light thins out, grows paler and paler. By solstice, the sunlight is not gold. It is the color of clear quartz.

There's a way in which solstice sunlight seems not of this world. What a crazy thought. If I could write poetry, though, I would be able to convey what I mean. Maybe the pictures tell the whole story and there's no need for words here. Ya think?

12 comments:

Deborah said...

You are a poet. Keep the words.

Dan Gurney said...

Hey, Reya, just hit the return key more frequently.

ellen abbott said...

sounds like poetry to me.

Memory Echoes said...

A poet. Yes. Who in her desire to write a poem she could not write wrote a piece so clear and unpretentious as to delight the mind and its silvery heart.

Lovely. Thanking you...

Cyndy said...

Yes that was lovely. There's poetry in your prose.

steven said...

reya, my full answer to this lovely writing will appear on the golden fish tomorrow! steven

The Bug said...

I was going to suggest what Dan said - just hit return more often :) That's what I did with the poem I posted today.

I've noticed that about the sun, but never really "got" what the difference is. You've nailed it. Of course, I can't really look to see what I think of your winter sun description because it's been snowing all day today!

Reya Mellicker said...

Steven, I can't wait!!


Hit return
More often?
Ha.
That's funny.

But does not a poem make. Sigh.

Jo said...

Silvery sunlight...yes. I love the layers of dove gray and gunmetal in the sky this time of year. So soft and and muted, a welcome change from the harsh sun of summer. To me, at least.

Everything about your view of the world is poetic, my friend...always beautifully expressed.

Pauline said...

May I borrow some of your words for a poem? I'll give you credit and call it after you :)

Reya Mellicker said...

Pauline - YES PLEASE!!!

Lisa Ursu said...

I have been thinking about light these days, especially since it is dark by 4:30 now.
On most of my walks, if the sun is out, I pause in certain places to bask in that precious light, and the thought of winter solstice means more of it in the coming days. : )
My thoughts run deep with this post Reya. I can't help but think of light bodies.
My mantra for today,
I am so grateful for the light!