Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Go with the flow



When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I wonder who said that? Today I'm taking on that philosophy. It's a good excuse, in the middle of a non-week, to purposely engage in a non-day.

I can't remember a more challenging work week than the one just past. Almost every one of the people who found refuge on the treatment table this week, both regular clients and the families of regular clients, were dealing with serious issues. One after another they put themselves into my hands. Can you imagine? I am honored, every time I go to work, that people are able to embody so much trust, especially when they're extra vulnerable.

Life in this form is precious - I totally agree with the Buddhists - but oh my we humans face so many difficulties of body, spirit and mind. We really are a lot braver than we give ourselves credit for. We get out of bed every morning, we seek healing or resolution, or acceptance. We cry or smile and carry on. We are intrepid. Whoa. I'm in awe - and - I'm fried after this week. Bloody hell.

Fortunately for me, Brother Wind has died down (thank God). It's supposed to be "warm" today (40 F. without wind is relatively warm compared to the weather in recent days), and since I have no plans for ongoing holiday revelry until this evening, I have a whole day to futz, clean house, wash clothes, and most important: get out for a nice walk through the quiet streets of Washington DC. While I walk I will breathe, I will let go of all the brave/sad stories of the people who made themselves at home on the treatment table this week. I'll take in the sunshine and "warmth," feel my blood moving in and out of my heart. What I expect to feel as I walk, even more than I do right this second, is a whole lot of gratitude for my good health and wonderful life.

A non-day can be a great mental/physical health day, as long as the wind isn't howling and if Brother Sun is shining. Thank you, weather god, thank you So Much. I love Tuesdays. Shalom.

16 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

Oh, it looks so beautiful where you are!

steven said...

reya i hadn't really thought about the taking in of stories that accompanies your work. wow! i know that when my students tell me their 'stories' it's sometimes gutting and containing my own responses so as not to interfere with the flow of their unpacking is super hard. how do you manage? steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Honestly Steven I'm not sure how I manage. Seriously. I do all the stuff you're supposed to - breathing, centering, opening to divine wisdom and love. I listen more than speak, then I sculpt their tissues, dance around their bodies, pray.

Afterwards I wash my hands, stretch, breathe, drink water. All those things really help.

I am grateful for the gift I have been given, to witness all kinds of human conditions and situations, to perhaps bring some kind of relief sometimes.

But holy cow, some days I really wonder!

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

The two things I woke up thinking about doing this morning were walking and washing clothes. I will be thinking of you as I do these things.

Reya Mellicker said...

Love being on a wavelength with you, Polly.

California Girl said...

what tree branch have you photographed? it's beautiful.

California Girl said...

i looked again. it's a holly branch isn't it?

Reya Mellicker said...

I think it's holly, yes. I know the trees, but not so much the names of them.

Anonymous said...

You are so well-equipped and highly qualified professionally to deal with this aspect of working with people Reya.
My daughter was talking about this the other day. She has an intelligent and perceptive friend who has chosen to be a beauty therapist as a career.She says the "therapist" part of the job description is entirely appropriate, and the friend feels entirely underqualified to deal with the frequency and intensity of emotional release it brings in some people and their need to disclose and divulge aspects of their lives and troubles.
Remember the days when the humble hairdresser was just that? These days they go overseas on "colourist" conferences,international symposiums, and feel the need to have a degrees in counselling and psychology!

Reya Mellicker said...

Bartenders should also be trained in psychotherapy. But really I think the most crucial part is to listen more than talk, stay neutral, and then let go as soon as possible.

I had a wonderful walk on the labyrinth tonight with friends. All the energy that was still with me got washed away. Your daughter will be great!

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Sooo, I didn't walk OR wash clothes! I have this sinus thing that's kicking my butt, so I stayed home and read and painted with my three-year-old and baked bread instead. It was still a lovely day.

Reya Mellicker said...

Sounds perfect, Polly!

Kerry said...

Sounds like you have had a perfect kind of day, blue and clear, with the chance to clear your head and refresh yourself. It would be easy to become lost in the kind of work that you do, but it sounds like you know how to keep yourself safe, a good thing.

karen said...

Just catching up again! I loved your Solstice post... glad you have surrendered to the celebratory mood, and are enjoying the non-day/non-week phenomenon!

Jo said...

I wish for you a peaceful day of repose and thanks for the miraculous human bodies you care for, as well as your own, which has housed your precious soul and enabled you to do your work so very well. You are a treasure. Take care of yourself today.

Reya Mellicker said...

Thank you Jo! And Kerry, too. All of you. Thanks.