Saturday, December 25, 2010

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em



Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of Christmas? You know ... the birth of Santa. -- Bart Simpson

It's a cloudy, chilly day in Washington DC. We might even get a few snow showers later today, adding to the Christmassy vibe. Oh yeah. Right now all is quiet. There's no traffic, no one is charging down East Capitol talking on the phone, or running or biking. No one is at the bus stop. It is truly peaceful out there. Nice!

My housemates are out of town, so the chateau, too, is quiet and still. Even Betty Louise (the houseghost) left me alone last night, (thanks Betty!) so I am well rested and mellow. I have candles burning in my little "fireplace," I'm drinking tea, eating broken cookie bits, admiring one of my favorite presents: a snow globe that contains all the monuments and the Capitol. There's a little music box in the base of the globe that plays Battle Hymn of the Republic. It doesn't get better than that, does it?

In awhile, I'll gather my wits about me (and the bag of bloody mary fixins), walk to a friend's house where we are set to engage in a lazy afternoon of leftovers and movies.

I used to tilt against Christmas. I'm a Jewish shaman after all and felt for a long time that I should not take part in the festivities. I believed celebrating was, in some way, a betrayal of my values. Or - I focused on the fact that I have no kids, no family close by, no partner, no traditions around the day. I excoriated myself for being such a FREAK, I held myself apart from Christmas just because I am so not mainstream. My, my.

The years I fought hard not to observe the holiday were quite miserable. The truth is: resistence is futile. Ever since I decided to dance in shamanic alignment with this day of gathering, rejoicing, feasting and gift giving, I've been a lot happier. No brainer, eh?

To all: Shalom and Happy Christmas. Cheers!

7 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Right after I posted this, it started snowing. It really is a lovely Christmas this year!

ellen abbott said...

yes, it's so much easier to go with the flow. it's been a non-event for me this year though.

Karen said...

Happy day! If nothing else, it's good to have a day in which we're allowed to be UNproductive, relax, and hang out with friends or family or just ourselves. :) I kind of like that everything's closed (or nearly everything)--there's no way I can make this into a day for errands or chores.

I'm enjoying eating cookies and Xmas candy, and knitting (the unfinished prezzies for D & P--I had them open those first and immediately give them back to me to work on!). Later today we might go for a walk at a favorite park, or maybe a movie if we feel motivated enough to wear something other than pjs. :)

(P.S. I love the 2nd photo--that tree with all its arms up... it looks highly energetic!)

Rosaria Williams said...

Never turn down a day of celebration! I bet this snow was on your secret wish list. Yeah! Be safe and peaceful for this and all other days ahead.

steven said...

welcome along for the ride reya!!! steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, all! It was a very fine day. Onwards now to New Year's.

Merle Sneed said...

Happy celebration day, my dear, no matter your particular reason for celebrating.