Monday, December 13, 2010

Silver and Gold



There's nothing new under the sun - or is there?

I mean, there's nothing new about silvery sunlight at winter solstice - nor is poetry a new form of expression. There's nothing new about friendship, collaboration, or our species' tendency towards creativity and the arts. Right?

But when something comes out of nothing - well - that makes me feel that the world truly is created fresh and brand new in every moment.

I am in awe of Steven's poem, inspired in part by my thoughts about sunlight in yesterday's post. It's a beautiful piece, though the truth is, Steven writes beautiful poetry every single day. So, there's nothing new about that. Wow.

I'm proud to be part of this collaboration, so very proud, you can't imagine. All is relationship, isn't it? Nothing new about that, but when I take part in an artful collaboration of any kind whatsoever, it is so exciting. It feels as if nothing like it has ever happened before.

Pauline (a great writer) is also interested in making a poem about sunlight. Can't wait to see how she articulates her thoughts about my beloved Brother Sun. Willow of the great blog Willow Manor, regularly uses a visual clue to inspire herself and others to write poetry. Now I know how you feel, Willow. Very cool!!

I'm looking forward to the solstice, just like I always do. The return of the light is close now, and though winter solstice takes place every year, that miraculous rebirth, too, always feels revolutionary, unprecedented.

All hail the light. Let there be light! Shalom.

9 comments:

California Girl said...

Just read Steven's poem about light and it is captivating. Thanks for the link.

Cyndy said...

That was a wonderful collaboration! I loved what he did with your colors of light for each season.

steven said...

reya thankyou for your very generous thoughts here. i absolutely had to write immediately. as soon as i read your words. there are words that have songs and poetry and stories and even civilizations attached to them. your words often sing about circles small and large and in-between. they hover like birds over fields of poetry.
yes it's a collaboration. a work unfolded from the enfolded states of two beings. i'm grateful for the sharing of insight!! steven

Pauline said...

Reya- Steven has said it much better than I could (both in his poem and in his comment here. I think he lives in poetry!) I've done a first draft using some of your beautiful words. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll send you the final version eventually :)

Reya Mellicker said...

Honestly I am thrilled to collaborate with the likes of y'all.

Oh yeah.

Hannahrae said...

I don't know how you captured gold in a digital photo. You are amazing.

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks Hannah! Cold rain and streetlights. I didn't alter this pic at all.

I feel so important now.

Kerry said...

I love this time of year, the turning over of the hours of light.

Karen said...

Must get over to Steven's place, but in the meantime, here's something I wrote a while back about feeling inspired yet not being a poet:

http://mysabbaticaladventures.blogspot.com/2010/10/on-not-writing-poetry.html

:)

Thanks for sharing the art of what you see every day... That's a special thing!