Friday, December 17, 2010

SNOW!!



People on the sidewalks smile when it's snowing, something I rarely see when I'm out and about during a rainstorm. Snow is a blessing. It bestows clean, clear white light to the landscape. It turns the landscape into an open body of water, temporarily of course. When it melts, the trees and plants are well watered. Snow is good! It's so good.

Everything looks beautiful, enhanced, by snow. There is no such thing as a rain globe, right? But who doesn't love a snow globe? Well?

It snowed yesterday in DC, a big surprise, a wonderful surprise. As my friend Donald would say, the snow ponies arrived, bringing light in the form of frozen water crystals to DC right here, right now, during the darkest days of the year. Sweet!! It wasn't a lot of snow, maybe an inch or two or three; just enough to coat the trees, just enough to make everything gorgeous. Oh yeah!

I know there's an anti-snow contingent out there - all of y'all who are cranky because snow makes for a slow, slippery commute. What I want to say is: Dudes! Get a grip. STAY HOME FROM WORK! Or ... leave early. Put on a hat and some gloves, wrap your neck in a nice warm scarf. Then open your eyes and heart to the beauty and wonder of a pre-solstice snowfall! C'mon!!

I love snow! Happy Friday. Shalom.

13 comments:

The Bug said...

Oh if only I COULD stay home from work. But I risk both the disdain of my coworkers AND not getting paid. Sigh.

On the other hand, despite my grumbling I can't help but smile when I see it snow - it's just infectious!

ellen abbott said...

I like snow...in pictures. hee hee. I do like to watch it snow and I enjoy it on the rare occasions it snows here. but I would not like to be somewhere where it snows a lot.

Tess Kincaid said...

Snow IS good.

Elizabeth said...

Time to celebrate indeed!
I always used to let the students (15 -18 year olds!!) rush to the window to ooh and aah at the first snow of the season.

Much better than boring old studying and much more morally improving.....

Yes, it does make everything stunningly beautiful and gasp making.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I supposed because I've always lived in the desert I find snow magical. It seems to make everything look so peaceful.

Tom said...

it's pretty neat, when it's novelty. I wish people could just s-l-o-w down and behave, then snow could be fun again.

Reya Mellicker said...

snow in DC is a novelty and i don't have to drive to work- so -easy for me to love it, eh? i do love it. i do

steven said...

reya i follow the cue of my students - eleven and twelve year olds - who flock to the window or stare every time it snows. remember these are kids who expect snow from november to april so it's not a novelty but they truly appreciate it. i love that it softens the edges of every landscape - internal and external. i love that as much as it reshapes, it can be shaped into any form. it brings a blank canvas to the world that gets written on as much as it writes. i try much much harder to love winter. steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Steven you are very noble!

Elizabeth, wish I was in NYC right now, hanging out with you.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i was out and about all day yesterday wondering about, while it didn't snow yesterday in cleveland people were sooooo smiley - i was thinking maybe it was some sort of cosmic convergence.

what say you?

happy snow!!

Reya Mellicker said...

Giddiness that precedes the solstice-full moon-eclipse-Merc retrograde?

Whatever, it's nice to see smiling faces, definitely!

Whitney Lee said...

We stayed home yesterday and today-or rather, my husband stayed home. We stay home every day! Snow is fabulous. It offers that blessed change of pace, particularly appreciated during the holiday rush. I hope you enjoyed!

Pauline said...

Wonderful tree photo! Lovely snow here too - a dusting, just enough to make everything look like a Christmas card. Can't wait till it piles up three feet deep!