Monday, December 6, 2010

Princess and the Pea



The problem with being a mystic is that we're "too sensitive." Even before I began practicing the art, I was labeled Too Sensitive by my parents, family and teachers. After that, I spent many many years learning to listen, even more sensitively, to the subtle energies. I practiced the art of seeing the unseen, cultivated my sense of the world as a living being that is constantly communicating its marvels and perils. I still practice, every day. Dolly Parton says, "Find out who you are and do it on purpose." I have taken her advice to heart!

In massage school my great teacher Judy Topaz (even her name was great) had those of us in her class close our eyes. She passed around various objects, like little fabric pouches full of ball bearings or beads, or intricately stitched pieces of embroidery. We were invited to explore these things through touch only, heightening our ability to locate areas of congestion and other situations through the skin of our future clients. I loved the exercise in which we placed a single strand of hair or thread under a piece of paper, then located it with our fingertips. Next, we placed a second sheet of paper on top, found the hair through touch. And on and on until we couldn't feel the hair under the sheets of paper.

Neurologists say that the reason blind people develop such great hearing, smell and touch is because in their brains the maps for these senses are much larger and more complex. They have space in their brains because the visual cortex isn't active. In bodyworkers and mystics, the brain maps for what is barely noticeable to John Q. Public must be vast indeed. I bet mine is!

So it figures that when I come into contact with a huge energy field such as the Holocaust, for instance - or the Civil War, something I worked with extensively a few years ago - the impact of that contact is rather bigger than maybe it would be for someone who isn't "too sensitive."

Yeah.

I really need to take it easy with whatever is coming through my heart/mind about the baby boom and the Holocaust. The last few days I have looked very bedraggled even though I've had plenty of sleep. Everything I've eated has tasted really weird - except chocolate. I told a friend last night that connecting with the oversoul of WWII through the family connection of my ancestors who died in the Holocaust is like an encounter with the dementors. It really is. And I'm no Harry Potter!

There's so much in my mind/heart, I could write a book I swear. But I'm going to take a break today, think about lighter things, put the thoughts about the baby boom, the Holocaust, aside until tomorrow (at least). Tra-la. L'chaim. Oh yeah.

12 comments:

ellen abbott said...

My thoughts exactly. Put the heavy stuff on hold and think about lighter things.

Cheryl Cato said...

Oh yeah... Bambi getting squashed by Godzilla, light? What are you thinking? I'm in tears & I knew it was coming!

The Bug said...

I tend to automatically put up defenses that keep me from delving too deep. I have to work very hard to get past those defenses. It's one of the reasons I read your blog - so I can go a level deeper than I'm comfortable with.

That said, even the Bug's guru needs a break!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

You are quite fascinating Reya. I think that exercise your teacher (yes great name) had you all do is great. It would a wonderful thing to do with young school children I think. A book? Yes please. I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Whitney Lee said...

Too much of anything is not good, right? It's a great thing to take a break. None of this is going anywhere so there's no rush to tackle it all at once.

You seem so in touch with yourself. I envy that at times. I am so often clueless as to why I feel what I feel. Obviously I'd benefit from a bit more delving...

Reya Mellicker said...

Whitney your life is busy 24/7. I'm single, have nothing to take care of except myself. Also I'm 57. I've had many many many years to focus on myself. You're awesome!! Believe me.

Lizzy sorry to make you cry! Sometimes I feel just like Bambi.

steven said...

reya - when i started teaching twenty years ago this year, the first video i showed my class was this exact one. i ordered it from the schoolboard office. my boys - they were grade 2's and 3's - were laughing and hooting "play it again, play it again". my girls "that's so mean!!" i still think it's really funny in a "get it all over with and please stop the disney music" sort of way. steven

Unknown said...

Isn't it kind of neat/odd/ponder-worthy how, just as you say, some regard mystic-sorts as "too sensitive" and yet, and yet, when you go to a place where something significant took place or better yet, something hyoooge AND significant took place, it's the sensitives who most fully grok it. Mystics are the ones who not only get the picture (on so many levels), they're also ones who can handle it, and often do. If we were too sensitive, we'd never go near some places (and sometimes that's a wise choice). Yet generally speaking, in soul groups/oversouls, the mystics are the ones who go there first. Interesting.

Agreed about dedicated lobe space differences. The way a lot of things are trending, you have to wonder if some could detect an elephant under a sheet of tracing paper.

So much for 'too' anything. It's more like doing what we're put here to do ; )

Jo said...

Reya, you're so very in touch with your feelings that I'm sure you don't have to be reminded to stay balanced. Going into something as deep and harrowing as the Holocaust will be possible only if you can balance it out with enough lightness.

Hope you have a good deal of Hugh Grant on hand.

Nancy said...

Some days it's just better that way. I'm feeling the same way. There is just so much bad stuff out there right now that I just don't have the heart to explore anything heavy right now. But I do look forward to what you're thinking.

Reya Mellicker said...

Hugh Grant! Ha. I actually haven't watched even ONE Hugh Grant movie yet this year. Yet. Maybe today is the day, who knows?

Karen said...

Sounds like a good plan--one can only deal with so much of that energy at a time!