Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tune in, turn on, drop out



It's freezing in Washington DC, much colder than it usually is in December. Tonight we'll experience a hard freeze with temperatures dipping down into the lower 20s. Brrrr. The wind has been relentless for the last couple of days. It's such a metallic wind, so dry and sharp. This wind cuts through even the warmest clothes. Walking around on a day like today is not pleasant, believe me.

Anyone who knows me understands that I pay attention to the weather. When the weather gods say Chill, bella, I listen and comply. Hence I will resist the urge to write about all the things that are coming through me for at least one more day.

Though, can I just mention briefly how much I've been thinking about the counterculture of the late 1960's, especially the peace-loving hippies? I'm thinking, if the souls of those who died in the Holocaust, especially in the camps, were reborn, wouldn't it make sense that those souls, reincarnated en masse during the baby boom, would want to live communally, love freely and openly? They shaved our heads in the camps, so of course we grew our hair as long as possible, of course we really hated the war in Vietnam, of course we embraced "flower power." We didn't see too many flowers in the camps, believe me. It's kind of a no brainer, eh? After living in fear, being starved, tortured, humiliated and murdered, of course we did everything we could to live without shame, liberated from every societal restriction.

"We."

Oops, I'm slipping back into it. As I typed that paragraph, Brother Wind gusted hard against the window. OK, I'm stopping now. Today I'll clean the chateau, run a couple of errands, meet a friend for dinner, a dinner that I hope will taste the way it's supposed to. I don't have to figure it all out as soon as possible, I don't have to encounter the dementors every day, right? Right. Right on. Shalom.


See the Capitol? It's completely hidden all summer by the thick tree canopy. The leaves are almost all gone now.

19 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Another interesting lesson for me to ponder today. The line - "I don't have to figure it all out as soon as possible" is a biggy for me today.

Reya Mellicker said...

I have to remind myself of that all the time.

One of my great massage teachers used to say, "You don't have to fix EVERYTHING in one session."

Thank God!

ellen abbott said...

Makes sense to me.

NanU said...

An interesting question to ponder.

Just an aside, the 'drop out' part of the line has always really bothered me. No matter what we do, we're part of society. You can't drop out, you can only cop out.

Cheryl Cato said...

I like what NanU said about "drop out... cop out". Guess we were separate from the status quo but we certainly did make up a huge population & boy were we vocal! And we definitely didn't "cop out".
Funny about the "fix Everything" statement. I think I try too hard to "fix" problems. Some things just take time or are even un-fixable. Have a wonderful, chilly day & evening!

Elizabeth said...

I'm not really quite sure if we are re-born exactly --but I do feel an affinity with certain groups of people.
The older I get the more I feel part of a continuum.
Your posts always set me pondering
oxoxo

Reya Mellicker said...

Well it was Timothy Leary who came up with the phrase, so - consider the source.

There was an energy of puncturing, pushing through, shattering the old paradigm. Drop out works for me.

xx

Nancy said...

Thoughts to ponder. It does make sense the people so brutally treated would come back and want to swing the other direction.

Your new picture is just beautiful, Reya.

NanU said...

I quite like the idea of leaving the old paradigm & stuff behind to construct something new (and better, one hopes). But dropping out, with the image of giving up, of head-in-the-sand not-my-problem, is an unfortunate choice of expression for that.

Karen said...

So, just this morning, I was thinking about telling you how COLD it is here, and how that much cold is kind of clarifying. As in: no dawdling! get your heinie where you're going, girl, cause otherwise it's gonna freeze! :) That's what I imagine Brother Wind telling me today. :)

Rinkly Rimes said...

Put it all down to Global Warming (well, maybe not the Flower Children). Here we have rain rain rain day after day after ten long years of drought. There's serious flooding in-land and the crops are ruined! I tell you this so that you'll embrace your temperatures!

Reya Mellicker said...

Rinkly: embracing!!

Karen - I love the word "heinie." Ha. Haven't thought about it in ages.

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, Nancy. I love this self portrait - so weird for me to actually like a pic of myself.

Cindy said...

Love your new picture, too, Reya. I always love to read what you are thinking of, what a brilliant connection you have made between the Baby Boomers and the Holocaust. I've been away from the blog world for a while- but I'm back and I've added a new photo blog.
"There was an energy of puncturing, pushing through, shattering the old paradigm." made me think of the Doors song, "Break on Through."

Reya Mellicker said...

Hi Cindy! (waving) Music was a big part of how the paradigm broke open. When I think of Jimi, Janis, Jim and so many others, I can almost feel the barriers shattering all over again.

steven said...

reya - i caught the tail end of the counterculture comet being born maybe three or four years off the mark. but i latched onto the pollution peace, the peace piece, and the equality piece and then too the music, the art, and a whole heap of the ethos. there was a lot of ambitious goodness hoped for and sometimes almost realized. i look around me now and i can see who grabbed the candle from those who held it out in those days. i very like the idea of waves of humanity and it makes me wonder when the boomers fly away, well reya what might they become? what do our worlds really need? i wonder if our worlds get what they need or what they want? steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Wow what a great question - what do we bring back when we come back into being?

As always Steven, THANK YOU. Wow.

C.M. Jackson said...

reading Carlin's Last Words---I'm at the point that he talks about doing just that...interesting--chill bella --hugs c

glnroz said...

i cant figure anything out when it is cold. I cant like winter. I need to put my coat on now.