Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years



I was talking to a friend on the phone about the Civil War, about soldiers and how brave and/or crazy they are to actually, willingly, walk onto a battlefield, knowing they could very well be killed. Bloody hell. My friend's TV was on in the background, he said, "Oh. It looks like a plane hit the WTC." We finished our talk, said goodbye.

I remember watching the video of the towers and pentagon over and over again, sitting on the floor of my housemate's bedroom, watching the TV. I had only lived in the house for a few months, I barely knew him, but I didn't want to be alone.

I don't remember much else about that day ten years ago except I do remember that around 9:30 or 10:00 I heard a very deep boom. Car alarms went off on the street, Jake crawled under the bed. The Pentagon is only 5 miles away. I think we heard the plane hitting the building.

After 9/11 everything changed. I'm still sad. Perhaps I always will be.

12 comments:

SG said...

It was a sad day. I sometimes feel that some scars remain forever.

Jo said...

You voice what we all feel but are reluctant to admit.

Perhaps we will always be sad.

I could look at that final shot forever...so much to see there.

Reya Mellicker said...

They just recently re-opened the sidewalk around the Supreme Court. After 9/11 they closed the grounds to build in more security. The walls have been up ever since, until a few weeks ago.

Elizabeth said...

Odd day here in NY.
Just sort of sad and numb and remembering all sorts of stuff..........
much love

steven said...

this morning the skies above my town were filled with feather clouds ... filled! it was a good time to reflect on the world as it is. there is an extraordinary beauty about it that no act ... however malicious ... can undo. steven

Reya Mellicker said...

I agree with you totally Steven.

Elizabeth, thanks for checking in. I've been thinking about you today.

The Bug said...

Definitely sad.

Gary said...

Heavy stuff. I think I am saturated for the day - like Scarlett, I will think about it tomorrow but for now I am too full. I can't believe you heard the boom and I am so glad that you are safe.

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks Gary.
Yeah, today was enough.

Onwards and upwards.

Pauline said...

I like that last photo - if we aren't chasing our shadows, they're chasing us.

janis said...

My heart has been heavy as well. I couldnt read blogs yesterday, and am catching up today stronger. I linked a friends account on my Blog, as it is beautifully written and another family's account as what happen to them.
I watched what I could but only briefly yesterday. I chose to watch just before and during those hours.. which filled me with stress and anxiety. I was prayerful all day. I work evenings. I thought I was home free of breaking down crying. At 10pm I relieved a co-worker that was on movie duty with the kids. Remind you I work at a Residential Dorm for Deaf Kids. The movie is always extremely loud so they can feel it. The movie of choice was "World Trade Center" about the Port Authority Officers caught in the ruble. I watch the last half hour of it.. tears streaming.
911 changed many of us. It saddens me that some people don't understand the pain it has caused. The scars run deep.
As Steven mentioned, I too woke to the most interesting sky. Feathered clouds was a good description.
I love my Country so much. I love what we stand for. I am so grateful to be an American.
I am babbling..sorry. Love to you Ms Reya~ I am so glad I found you a couple years ago. You are a beautiful writer & photographer & so often touch my soul.

Reya Mellicker said...

Janis, thank you! Thank you.