Sunday, September 25, 2011

Solarized at last



Brother Sun peeked out from behind the oppressive overcast for a little while yesterday evening. It was so glorious to see sunlight! Holy cow. No wonder I had a nervous breakdown when I lived in Portland, Oregon. I need Brother Sun. I really do!

Apparently I am not the only one. When the sun appeared, so did the people. Little kids with cabin fever and their parents blew off steam in Lincoln Park, bicyclists passed the chateau by the dozen, everyone else took a stroll up and down East Capitol. I walked the circuit around Lincoln Park without my umbrella. It was delicious. I took a million pics of the sky, most of them unremarkable to look at after the fact. In the moment, I was ecstatic, as if I'd discovered gold, which - if you think about it in a certain way, is true.

What would I do without our beloved local star? I guess none of us would be here. Hmm. Happy Sunday.

7 comments:

steven said...

reya the sun rolled out from behind the cloud cover here yesterday morning after spending quite a bit of time tucked away up on high. the rain has been lovely - i got soaked by it every time i went out on my bike - but where it courses in thick threads across my face and arms and legs, the sun's finer strands have a more pleasing effect especially as they are warm!!! it changes the street. enjoy the lovely sunday. steven

ellen abbott said...

Exactly why I think I couldn't live up in the pacific NW. Not enough sun. And then there's the cold wet all the time. I worry about my son though. He thinks he won't mind the weather but I think he needs the sun.

Reya Mellicker said...

Ellen, one great thing about Oregon is that if you're willing to drive a half-hour east of downtown Portland, get into the Cascades, you can almost always leave the low, heavy, hideous overcast behind. It stops at the mountains. Beyond the Cascades is desert, which will make him feel at home.

I hope he has a car. Portland is a great city in so many ways, but it's important to get out from under the gray skies sometimes.

Reya Mellicker said...

Steven I love every word.

Kerry said...

Funny to read this on the first day of rain since July here in Oregon! You know, I just love the rain, the way it smells, and the way the earth here just soaks it up like a huge sponge, for months and months. But it isn't constant; we have "sun breaks" throughout, and my students wear shorts to school year round.

Being an introvert, I really don't mind the long dark season. But of course who can argue with the golden sun? It is glorious.

Reya Mellicker said...

Kerry!

Kerry said...

I know. Who else would feel this way.