Friday, September 16, 2011

Inwards and downwards.


Incredible sunset last night!

Fall blew in yesterday in no uncertain terms. The temperatures dropped sharply - it's actually chilly this morning. I always honor and appreciate the change of season - no matter what season is unfolding.

There are seasons, however, and then there are seasons. I love fall. I love everything about it in terms of the cooler weather, leaf color and clean air. I love the foods of fall - hearty stews and soups are the best possible things for my finicky stomach. I even love the emotions - melancholy and a sense of reverence and awe, emotional states that replace the cheerful inspirations of summertime.

Even the sky has been showing off fall colors, both the fiery colors of last night's sunset and today's icy ring around the sun. The sun (below) looks like a giant eyeball, doesn't it? Slightly creepy!

The shift in season is a visceral reminder of the turning wheel of the year, of the passing of time. I'm a little off balance today, which isn't unusual at this time of year.

Even so, I'm wearing long pants and a flannel shirt, socks. I am smiling. Happy autumn or happy spring, depending on where you are. Shalom.

18 comments:

Linda Sue said...

WOW What is that orb? Looks like it might devour DC!

Reya Mellicker said...

We would give it indigestion.

Kerry said...

Amaaaaazing photos.

I can't believe that you're putting on a flannel shirt before I am this year! I can't wait to do that.

Reya Mellicker said...

Didn't you wear flannel shorts all summer, Kerry?

Reya Mellicker said...

Shirts

Jinksy said...

Does the sun ever look that large? Or is it a trick of the camera? Incredible image anyway...

Elizabeth said...

Socks sound fun
My feet will be cleaner
Hee hee
I adore fall

Reya Mellicker said...

Jinxy the sun fuzzes out because my camera lens is not good enough to handle that much light.

The ring was pronounced, pinker that it appears in the picture, reminded me of a pink rainbow we had just last night.

The sky in DC is endlessly interesting.

steven said...

reya the morning temperature here was 0 degrees celsius which translates into thirty two degrees fahrenheit. i refused to put on long pants and biked to school in shorts. i wore three layers from the waist up. it was really alright! as long as my hands, head, and heart are warm i'm good!! i love the autjmn so very much!! i'm glad that it has eased its way into the weather first and that there are little tickles of colour in the trees. steven

ellen abbott said...

shorts, sleeveless T, barefoot.

Pauline said...

You take the most astonishing photos!

I like the seasonal changes, too - the cooler air is a relief after all that hot mugginess. One can breathe deeply now. Lovely post.

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, Pauline!

Cyndy said...

That photo of the Capitol is spectacular! I wish I'd seen that sky.

Reya Mellicker said...

It was wild.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I just can't get over that first photo; it's just surreal.

I love autumn too, but it hit hard and fast here, and I'm still out in the bus and freezing my buns off. I hate being cold. Just hate it.

Reya Mellicker said...

Hope you get a late season blast of summer, what we used to call Indian Summer, Susan. I hate being cold too!

A Concerned Citizen said...

Man, is that photograph of the sun setting behind the Capitol gorgeous or what?!?!? All your pictures are beautiful, but this one is especially so.

I had a LOL moment at your "we would give it indigestion" response to Linda Sue. I reckon we probably would.

Reya Mellicker said...

I think DC would be somewhat hard to digest for your run of the mill orb, don't you, Adrianne?