Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rapunzel


Even my super zoom camera is unable to focus on the face of dear, crazy Luna. I guess it's ok that my moon pics are always moody and strangely colored (I didn't do that pink glow with photoshop).

Hair is important. Well, it is, c'mon. Whether we feel we have too much, not enough, or curly when we would rather have straight, or too much in one place but not enough in another, hair is something people think about. Not everyone! Many people, should say.

Hair is symbolic. Feminists in the 20s cut their hair as a symbol of their liberation from the old ways. During the 60s we went the other way, growing our hair as long and frizzy as possible as a protest against short military haircuts. Shaving one's head is always a powerful act, no matter the intention. I think of Sinéad O'Connor. In certain Orthodox sects of Judaism, women shave their heads because hair is thought to be so enchanting, it will distract the men from studying, or so I've been told. In other situations, a shaved head is a sign of shame, or purity in yet other environments. It always means something. Sampson and Delilah? The Dalai Lama. Robert de Niro in Taxi Driver? Please!

My mother used to say, Isn't it funny how, as long as hair is attached to your head, it's thought to be beautiful, but the moment it detaches and lands in your salad, it becomes absolutely disgusting?

It is funny.

The anatomy of hair is pretty interesting, too. Strands of protein growing out of your scalp - think about it. We are all chia pets!

I believe hair is an entity, somewhat separate from, though of course inextricably linked, to the ego I call Reya. My hair and I have a somewhat bombastic love/hate relationship. We have had many very bad years together, (I'm thinking now of the 1980s when my hair was frizzed out and dyed the color of eggplant.) My hair and I have had good times as well.

This morning I told Richard, the hair guy with the mostess, to do whatever he wanted. He cut off between 6 and 7" of frazzled, split ended, scraggly hair bits. Ahhh! I'm happy and my hair is happy, too, thank goodness. Sometimes a haircut can be traumatic - it happens - but it's also true that a good haircut can make my day.

Some days, it's all about the hair.

20 comments:

Tom said...

yikes! well, i'm sure you look pretty sharp with long or short hair.

Reya Mellicker said...

It's the same hair, just no longer scraggly.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Long time no see! I agree hair is important and symbolic. The whole Samson and Delilah thing is interesting.

It's been ages since I paid anyone for a hair cut; I do it myself, and usually when I all of a sudden get an overwhelming urge for no apparent reason. But then there are other times I plan it and do it deliberately as a symbolic ritual to acknowledge a major change in my life. At the beginning of summer, I cut my hair short because I was moving off grid and would only have a 5-gallon solar shower, but it was also a symbolic recognition of making that change.

steven said...

reya - the hair thing is a magical mystery to me and has been since i accompanied my mum to the salon as a little boy and met the men and women there who took care of the ladies' hair. my won hair has been ultra short, shaved right off and long. being in the pre-mature stage of life right now it is mix of soft brown and light white silver and is gradually leaving the front of my head on an irreversable journey to the back. happily the hair is cropping up elsewhere in little semi discrete patches on my shoulder joint, my chest, and up my nose. it is blissful being a boy but there are steps and stages that are interesting to observe and to manage! steven

ellen abbott said...

Oh, hair! Mine's been long, short and in-between. This year is's been straight. Not because I straightened it but because it is so dry there is no humidity in the air. I can't remember any time ever that the humidity has been so low. Bring back my curly hair!

The Bug said...

I lost big chunks of hair after my surgery. I would have worried, but the same thing happened the last time I had surgery & I still had lots of hair left afterward. The shedding has slowed down quite a bit. I'm getting a cut in October & I can't decide how drastic I want to be. It will probably depend on my mood on that particular day. Can't wait to find out!

Coincidentally, my hair was frizzed out in the 80s too - but I had to PAY to get it to look that way :)

Ptolemy said...

Today would've been a good day for a reflective photo!

Reya Mellicker said...

Ellen, every day I think about you and your landscape, and feel my heart breaking for you. I will imagine your hair curly again. May it be so!

Steven my hair tends to shape change quite a bit as well. Why not?

Susan yes yes YES hair cutting is a ritual. I feel that today's haircut is a part of the ritual of beginning my practice at the chateau. A haircut marks an occasion, it does. I mean a haircut in which you make a big change.

Reya Mellicker said...

Photos to come. It's not that different, almost shoulder length. Wavy, but no longer scraggly.

Lisa Ursu said...

I've always wanted a Scooby-Doo chia pet.
Some days it IS all about the hair.
Great post, and photos. To be honest, and since the colour is already present, I'd like to see the 1st shot "enhanced" just for grins.

Janelle said...

hmmm. hair. i once shaved mine all off.i felt so liberated. apparently you should always trim hair when the moon is growing... x j

Karen said...

Pictures! We need pictures! :)

For some reason, the past 10 years or so I've been very attached to the idea of keeping my hair long--as long as possible. My hair stylist would like to cut it off--every time I go see her she teases me about it--and I agree to cut off the dead ends, but I can't bear the idea of cutting off inches and inches of it!

I'm sure yours looks fabulous. Did taking off some length make your curls more bouncy?

Enjoy!

A Concerned Citizen said...

Your hair looks gorgeous all the time now! I can't wait to see the shorter 'do!

Steve Reed said...

Good for you to have so much cut off! To be honest, I've gone so long without hair that I can't really remember what having it is like. I used to love the feel of it right after I washed it, but I was never entirely happy with my hair. I always wanted hair like Peter Tork of the Monkees, which would have looked pretty silly on me.

Washington Cube said...

A woman cutting off her hair is also a sign of mourning.

Mine is almost to my waist again, but I wear it up in professional situations.

I heard, via the grapevine, my stylist was asking where I'd been (this weekend.)

Reya Mellicker said...

Steve Reed: I love you.

Kerry said...

Eggplant! Your hair was the color of eggplant, how amazing. Wow.

Congrats on your hair cut. I love getting my hair cut; it seems like such a luxury. Claire, who usually cuts my hair, always recommends a piece of fiction to me, and then we talk about movies.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

we were on the same wavelength! faux daughter-in-law rachel cut my hair on tuesday! i always give her free reign to do whatever she wishes.

to the new dos!!!!

Whitney Lee said...

Hair is immensely important; I'm glad you've had a happy hair experience! I realized I've got alopecia areata about 5 or 6 years ago when I noticed some bald spots. I felt like I had mange, but there wasn't a dip to fix it! After I lost half my hair-picture 2 or 3 bald spots about the size of a softball-I gained a new appreciation for something so many of us take for granted. I have my hair back, for now at least, and am far less concerned about bad hair days or those gray strands...I'm just happy to have hair. I enjoy trying different styles every so often; it's amazing how a hair cut can make you feel like a whole new person:)

Reya Mellicker said...

Hair is important. I should write more about this. My spirit guide says hair is the fire of the head, kind of interesting to think about.

Whitney I'm SO glad you have your hair back! Thank goodness.