Thursday, September 8, 2011

Who knows?



The rain we didn't get this summer has arrived all at once. It has been raining, mostly non-stop, for three days in Washington DC. That NEVER happens. A day or so of good soaking rain is not that unusual, nor are big ole thunderstorms that dump a lot of rain quickly, then move on.

The remnants of Lee, slowly moving north, dropping salty, DNA filled rain on us for 36 hours, has turned out to be a much larger event than Irene. The weather is completely unpredictable! Even sophisticated computers and very smart meteorologists can never quite wrap their minds around what's going to happen next. Weather is unimaginably complicated. I love it that at least they TRY to predict.

According to my cosmology, weather is the emotional soul of Mama Earth. It is indeed like human emotion in so many ways: moody, unpredictable, potent, creative and destructive, sometimes at the same time. I used to try to figure out What It Means when it rains non-stop for three days after a long dry spell, or why the rain won't go to Texas right now, it just refuses. After years of hopelessly trying to make sense of the weather, I realized that the emotional goings-on of the planet beneath my feet are actually none of my business. I need to be in relationship with these features of life on the planet, i.e. I must carry my umbrella, but trying to attach meaning to the patterns of weather tends to steer we humans way off track, not in a good way, i.e. This is God's way of punishing the (fill in group you hate). I don't believe it for one second, that God uses weather as punishment or reward. No way.

Brother Sun has been very active lately. The other day I saw a vid of a magnetic solar storm encompassing the Earth (as well as Venus and Mercury), for instance. Maybe the quakes and huge storms and big fires are ways in which the Earth talks to her brother, the Sun. Who knows?

Don't ask me - it's out of my hands. I look forward to hearing that a nice soaking rain is falling on Texas, also look forward to blue skies above Washington DC. Be gentle with us, Mother Earth! We're kinda fragile. Shalom.

6 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I think DC is just crying because I left!

PS - mentioned our meet up in my post today :)

Jinksy said...

The words unpredictable and weather in England, are bosom pals...

Reya Mellicker said...

I agree, Jeanette!

steven said...

reya i am so entirely loving the skies of late summer that feels like early autumn but isn't except it feels so very like it that every one including the chipmunks are fooled!!! rain has hovered as a possibility around here for days and yet it hasn't done much more than spit which is so fine by me as the nights are cool and the days are warm and mild and gentle with a bit of wind - mostly in my face on my morning ride which is almost but not quite as good as a mug of coffee!!! steven

Kerry said...

Weather in all its forms is so fascinating. I just got a Twitter account and the 1st person I wanted to follow was the Weather Channel! And now I know where Jim Cantore is at all times:) [How unnecessary!]

glnroz said...

yes, a rain,, (sigh),, thanks for thinking about Texas... fires all around...