Saturday, February 12, 2011

Quickening



All the years I lived in San Francisco I missed having four distinct, dramatic seasons. Where I grew up, in the American midwest, winter and summer are extremely intense. Fall and spring pass quickly. I find a landscape with four seasons orienting, grounding. The eternal, year-round spring-like weather of San Francisco really threw me off balance. In San Francisco, you might be cold enough to build a roaring fire in August, or warm enough to go to the beach in January, depending on the fog or absence thereof. There was no such thing as a really hot or really cold day in San Francisco. Never. It did not make sense to my midwestern raised body.

Washington DC has near-perfect seasons. Spring and fall go on for months, winter is very mild compared to New England or the midwest. Summer? OK, summer bears down on us, but really there's only one terrible month: August. The rest of the year is beautiful.

There's a quickening underfoot in DC this morning. Robins are singing - loudly. Haven't heard that sound for many months. The trees are beginning to stir, too. The tips of their twigs are swelling, and there's an aura around the branches that wasn't there two weeks ago. It's still very cold, though yesterday afternoon I was able to sit comfortably on the porch without wearing a coat. I wore sunglasses yesterday. Sunglasses, yeah.

As a human and a shaman I'm very excited to be able to imagine spring: the trees popping, the crocus and daffodils rising, the springtime energy rushing straight upwards out of the ground, as if the earth herself were trying to grab the sunlight.

Because of the energetic shift that I sensed only yesterday, I've called a moratorium on the cake baking. There will be no zucchini cupcakes. It was getting a little bit pathological, my obsession with flour, baking powder and eggs. I don't even LIKE cake. Some friends are dropping by this afternoon to finish the buttermilk country cake, drink coffee. While they're here, I might be able to crack the windows in the kitchen, allow a little bit of almost spring air into the chateau. Wouldn't that be exciting? I think so, I do.

Shabbat Shalom. Happy almost spring, or if you live south of the equator, happy almost fall. And so the wheel of the year turns. Oh yeah.

14 comments:

Pauline said...

The prelude to spring is my most absolutely favorite time of year. We're still getting snow flurries here but our January thaw (albeit a little late!) will arrive by Thursday with temperatures rising into the 40s. I'll be opening windows, too! Lovely photo on top - what is that plant?

Reya Mellicker said...

I think it's an azalea. Happy almost-spring, Pauline!

ellen abbott said...

I proclaim it spring! Yes! because I say so. it's warming here, the maple is popping out, the birds are chirpy and active.

debra said...

Here, it the yellow aura on the willow trees that is the promise of Spring. Today we have blue skies, howling wind, and a little snow. I am grateful to be looking out my window as the old energy moves out.

steven said...

reya - lucky lady! there's a blizzard blowing through here - really pretty actually - a lot like a high-powered snowglobe! i saw very small puddles yesterday while i was walking home ... they were freezing up as i walked so they got that superfine icefilm with all the whorls and feathers on them. quickening - well i think there'll be tastes of it in the next little while. tastes on a table that will be cleared every so often and then reset with bowls of snow and ice! steven

Anne said...

The birds are singing -- so, they think the season is shifting, too.

Yep. I loved SF, but boy I missed the seasons.

However. I feel like I've had enough snow this year!

Reya Mellicker said...

It has been a long winter.

Unknown said...

Like Steven, We have had a blizzard going on all day with a couple of sunny breaks. The temperatures are going up to just above freezing next week for a few days, so we may get a bit of a melt. The furnace guy is coming anytime now to check the furnace and clean it.
I need to learn how the furnace works and what I need to do to keep it running optimally.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki said...

Love the seasons! We have 50* today! Waahoo... But it is going to take alot more warm days to melt the 20+ inches we still have. Have a Happy Birthday Reya! Enjoy, peace and love!

Jo said...

Here in Missouri, I'm trying to refrain from jubilation just yet. I, too, and thrilled with the signs of approaching springtime, but we still have half of February and all of March to get through before we really can celebrate winter's departure.

For heaven's sake...I remember snow falling one year on my son's birthday, April 8th!

The photos are simply gorgeous.

Carolina Linthead said...

A slightly belated Shabbat Shalom (alas, the sun had set before I came to visit), and happy almost spring! The days are getting longer, my SADness is easing, and positive energy is building all around. Enjoy your company!

The Bug said...

I wore sunglasses too, today! In fact, I told Dr. M (Dr. Linthead) that I was feeling a little sensitive to the sun since it had been so long :) I didn't mind squinting at all!

karen said...

Thanks for the almost-Fall greetings, for our hemisphere, and I will wis you a Happy Birthday in case I miss your Sunday post!