Friday, December 2, 2011

Jack and the Beanstalk



Leave it to the Sufi acupuncturist to show me, time and again, how brilliant he is. He "listened" to my pulses this week, after which he immediately began to talk about discernment. I hadn't mentioned a thing about The Tell, how I had to cut and run because the process of writing was so addictive. But when the word "discernment" came out of his mouth, I knew that was the energy he was perceiving. Wow. In my post from last week, Depth of Field, I used that exact word to describe my need to let go of Vega and her exploits.

In Chinese medicine, wood is the element of creativity and growth, it is the energy of spring, the bursting seed pods and unfurling of the green world. Metal, in Chinese medicine, is the element that "controls" wood. In the case of The Tell, my metal element came to the fore, chopped down the wildly overgrown creative energy that fired the writing of the book.

TIM-BERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

The idea of an eternal state of groundedness is a nice dream, but it's only a dream. I'm shown repeatedly that being centered involves getting out of balance again and again, then returning to center in one way or another. I often work with this idea professionally as well as when I'm teaching. Find a thousand paths back to center, oh yeah.

It's really good to know that my metal element can control my enthusiasms and excesses in terms of being creative. That said, I still miss Vega. Sigh. Oh well.

5 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

You give me so much to think about. In China last month, our guides mentioned balance over and over again. They also mentioned the fire in the body and too much fire not good. I had this sample exam done by a Chinese doc' and he just held my pulse for a while. Said I had digestion problems. I already knew that but found it quite interesting he did.

ellen abbott said...

Well, somehow I missed that post (that and many others). Anyway, I know what you mean about being in the grip. People ask me if it's hard to sell my work and it's not really since it is the process I love. Once a piece is done, there's no more involvement. Anyway, I think I've told you this before.

Steve Reed said...

There's no reason you can't go back to Vega after you feel more in balance -- right?

Reya Mellicker said...

Steve it's fascinating that you find Vega and The Tell intriguing. First I must calm down, then ... maybe!

Steve Reed said...

Maybe it's the writer/editor in me. I tend to think almost any work can be resurrected and/or salvaged! :)