Friday, August 26, 2011

Irene



It's a lovely late summer day in Washington DC: clear skies, warm and muggy, no wind. You would never ever guess that a big ole hurricane is heading in our direction if not for modern meteorology. I haven't been outdoors yet but I'm guessing that the quality of this day is very nondescript. Hurricanes tend to suck all the energy out of the atmosphere for hundreds of miles around. I expect today to be a non-day in that respect.

Here at the chateau there will be clients and cake (I've been baking.) After work I plan to head down to the Matchbox, not out of habit - I haven't been as much of a regular lately - but to sit at the bar and listen to the buzz about Irene.

It has been one of the weirdest weeks ever in Washington DC what with the earthquake followed by the hurricane. My goodness. What next?

10 comments:

Gary said...

It does seem like a non-day. Anticipation. Let's hope things will settle down after Irene passes.

ellen abbott said...

That's a beautiful sky. Hurricanes here always seem to come in the middle of the night. Hold onto you hat!

Reya Mellicker said...

Yes ma'am.

Took a quick walk. Strangely it is not a non-day in DC. A quiet late summer day, but there is energy in the sky. Maybe it's too soon.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

batten down the hatches!

crossing my fingers that irene peters out quickly and the damage is minimal.....

Jo said...

BEAUTIFUL shots, Reya.

I guess they call it the 'calm before the storm' for a reason.

I hope Irene proves to be a well-mannered visitor, and the chateau and its surroundings are safe and sound as ever this weekend.

Regardless of the weather, cake is ALWAYS a good idea.

Elizabeth said...

Well, a beautiful sky in your neck of the woods!
Hunkering down here, and , truly, a little anxious.
Hope all is well with you.
Cake sounds extra good!
ooxox

Reya Mellicker said...

I bet you're anxious, Elizabeth. Holy cow!

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes, Jo. The sky was unbelievable last night. I've never seen so many different colors all at once - not ever. Weird!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I'm of course a bit anxious about my daughter being over there. After Katrina changed her life so much I'm hoping this one just blows right by.

steven said...

my nana's name was irene. she was a soft, gentle lovely woman - a baker's daughter..... i hope that irene the weather version is blowy and rainy but not excessively so. steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Irene means peace. Kind of ironic.