Saturday, November 13, 2010

Spiritual Awakening



The 1988 journey to Benares I mentioned yesterday was part of a trip I took around the world with my ex-husband. By the time we got to Benares we had already been to Japan, Thailand, and in India to Delhi, Jaipur, Jodpur and Udaipur. So when we arrived in Benares, I thought I was well acclimated to the exotic world of Asia. My my, when will I ever learn not to make such assumptions?

After Benares, we continued traveling west - first to Italy, then the U.K., New York, and finally home to San Francisco. What a trip! So many stories associated with that journey, wow. Nevertheless, I can say without a doubt it was Benares that had the biggest impact. Watching people worship and pray as a matter of course, watching them stop by the Shiva shrines on every street, in every part of the city, to leave an offering of marigolds or pour some Ganges river water, was a revelation. In Benares the manner of worship is completely integrated into their "regular" lives. The people worship the same way we drop our Netflix DVD's off at the mailbox. The life of the spirit is absolutely integrated. Wow. When I got home to San Francisco I realized I didn't ever have to wait for a proper occasion in order to talk to God. I could worship and pray whenever I wanted.

Right after that journey, I began listening to the wind, fog and crazy landscape of San Francisco. Imagine how surprised I was to realize that the land, weather, the sun and the moon had so many stories to tell. I had lived in San Francisco for years, but until I put my feet on the ground in Benares, I was oblivious to the liveliness of the world, completely unaware that I could be in relationship with the elements, weather, planets and stars. Benares opened my heart to my spiritual path.

In spite of how traumatic that experience was, I am deeply grateful. Maybe I am a little bit more like George Harrison than I think I am. He was more graceful about it, but he, too, was utterly changed after visiting India.

My dream lingers in my heart/mind. It was powerful!

Onward and upward to Saturday. Shalom.

10 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Oh REYA! Your photos!!! So wonderful they are!

Dan Gurney said...

Every breath a blessing.

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing these stories! They're a good reminder that sometimes it takes YEARS to really understand (or begin to understand) the impact of an experience...

Yes, worshiping as a matter of everyday existence--that's something I've seen in native culture that I've been trying to integrate into my own life. Talk to the trees around you, the earth under your feet, the water you can hear as it passes, and the beloved ancestors who move just beyond our field of vision (and sometimes show up in it!). What a powerful idea...

Cyndy said...

Wow, what a fantastic trip that must have been! A once in a lifetime experience.

I remember seeing DC in a new light after my first time of spending a few months in Europe. It was very enlightening, but I'm sure not nearly as enlightening as a return to San Francisco after time in India! I really hope I make it there one of these years.

Reya Mellicker said...

And such a simple idea, too. So basic, so human.

YES Dan - every breath a blessing. Thanks.

Reya Mellicker said...

Cyndy you should go - even if it's just to get out and listen to music.

steven said...

reya i'm really appreciating this unfolding story of your unfolding and also your enfolding because you've kept the energy and the goodnes from your experiencing of that journey. apparently for a reason. much like the dream which has appeared for a reason. spark! bazinggggg!!! steven

Reya Mellicker said...

zap!!

karen said...

I started catching up here, then read backwards. Great to hear your stories.. I did not realise (till I got to the next post) that Benares is the same as Varanasi. Recently I woke up from a dream with the word 'Varanasi' in my mind, for absolutely no reason, and I didn't even really know where/what it was, till I googled it..

Love the stetson, by the way, and all the fall pictures of course!

Nancy said...

I'm a grumpy person without enough sleep.