Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dia de los Muertos



In my dream last night my father (now an honored ancestor and guide) showed me how to switch off the part of my DNA that has compelled me to heal all the suffering he experienced while alive through my relationships with men. He whispered, "I'm dead, honey - no use trying to heal me any longer." He was showing me a complicated, multi-layered fuse box. The switch to turn off my lifelong genetic imperative to heal his poor tortured life experience was three layers below the surface level of switches.

Healing the ancestors is an ancient tradition amongst we shamans. The practice creates a pay it forward energy since (after all), the ancestors come back as our children and grandchildren. Sending healing backwards in time is an investment in the future. Time is rather slippery for we shamans, don't you know?

Even within Chinese medicine it is possible to send healing to the ancestors. The one time when the Sufi acupuncturist told me my pulses were "great" - it only happened once - he suggested that we send healing backwards to those who came before. The needles went right into the center of my sternum, creating the most lovely ache. It was a marvelous treatment. Wow. Ain't it the truth that the heart is the portal, holding (as it does) so much love? Oh yeah.

My father (in my dream) was not suggesting that I stop my shamanic practice of healing the ancestors, only that I switch off the part in which I work the healing through my romantic relationships. ... Papa ... I'm not complaining, really ... but I need to say just one thing: could you have showed me this trick sometime earlier in my life? Uh ... I'm 57, leaning hard into 58. ... Just sayin ...

In my mind's eye, Papa smiles widely and lovingly, gives me a knowing look, pats me on the shoulder, then slips away into the mist. Oh those loving ancestors can be so enigmatic!!

19 comments:

lacochran's evil twin said...

You still have the next 50+ years... :)

Sorry we didn't tag up at the rally.

Reya Mellicker said...

My phone didn't work, and I just had to laugh, thinking I told people I'd be the one wearing the cowboy hat. It was a blast though, wasn't it?

The Bug said...

Now THAT's something that countless people could benefit from. And not just in romantic relationships. It's pretty amazing how often we "recreate" those family relationships when we deal with others...

Reya Mellicker said...

The layers of the fusebox open like the pages of a book. Go down three levels, flip a switch. Voila!!

Tess Kincaid said...

Fascinating stuff, dreams and DNA. As usual, you've given me something to drag back to the manor and think about today.

Angela said...

It had me sítting up straight! Like Willow, I have dragged this idea into my den and will chew a bit on it.
What about...
But can I ever be able to heal someone else`s DNA?
But if it really would change the future?
And what about... that still living person, at 90... the one I fought with all my life?
Oh my, Reya.

Reya Mellicker said...

Angela, should I be glad or sorry that I got you riled up (as we say in the American midwest)?

One very cool shamanic healing technique (can't remember who taught me this) is to focus on the part of the body that is hurting, send that part of the body back in time to before it became ill, or forwards in time to when it is completely healed.

Does that make sense??

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I wish, so very much, that I could understand and interpret my dreams such as you can. I'm with lacochrans' evil twin, you got so much time to live this lesson.

ellen abbott said...

I need to think about this.

Angela said...

Reya, I wrote you a mail on this, but it was returned because of verizon or something. Does that mean you should not have it? Thanks though, for your advice. Will try it.

Linda Sue said...

LOVE THIS!!!

Rosaria Williams said...

You wouldn't have heard him any earlier. Now, you are ready to sit back and take it all in.
Love the new picture with the great hat!

Rosaria Williams said...

p.s. 57? You are just coming of age as a Shaman! In the next thirty years, you'll grow in wisdom and wrinkles. They go together!

Rosaria Williams said...

p.p.s romance is more transparent when it comes late in life. (So I heard!)

Reya Mellicker said...

Rosaria!! Wow. You are absolutely correct. That's why he smiled so nicely ... wow.

C.M. Jackson said...

lovely -- the possibilities are endless

Natalie said...

A wondeful post which is synchronisitic for me. Thankyou, Reya. I love that your Papa came, so awesome.

Val said...

wonderful Reya; i love this thought x

Wisemarian said...

What a wonderful dream!