Thursday, November 25, 2010

An Embarrassment of Riches



Am I thankful? Yes, I am. Because I'm lucky. I'm so damn lucky it blows my mind. I live in a beautiful, intense, bizarre city, the citizens of which are the smartest and most hardworking I've ever encountered. I spend my days and nights in a beautiful little chateau on a gorgeous street in the friendliest neighborhood I've ever lived in. I am seven blocks from the U.S. Capitol, an icon and a friend. When I need light, heat, or coolness, or music, or when I want to connect through the internet I only have to flip a switch to make it happen. I cook, read, clean, sleep, laugh, and dance every day. When I need to, I cry. For the ability to express and release sadness, I am very grateful.

I love my profession and am uniquely suited to it. I adore the people I work with and my colleagues at work. My "commute" is a ten-minute walk. My office environment is a beautiful, exposed brick townhouse, cozy, quiet, and gorgeous.

Though I rarely see them, I love my family, not only my sibs but my nieces, nephews, and grand nephews. Soon I will have a grand niece, too. I have the best friends anyone could ever imagine, both here in Washington and elsewhere. I have friends of all ages, from all walks of life, with every kind of world view you can imagine. Some friends I see often, others only every now and then, but our heart connections are potent no matter what. I am so well loved! And I have so many opportunities to feel love for the wonderful people who are a part of my life! The love flows in and out with ease. Ahhhhh.

My health is very good, I can still think (more or less), and actually I love being middle aged. When I dress well I can still turn a head or two. I'm comfortable in my body. I'm a shaman but somehow I have figured out how to practice that crazy spiritual path with good humor. Mostly I shy away from going off the deep end, something that's very easy to do as a shaman. I don't want to be nuts, you know?

I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

Today in the U.S. we celebrate our harvest feast by giving thanks. I am thankful because I am SO lucky! Oh yeah. L'chaim, happy T-day. Shalom.


I'm very grateful for the convivial atmosphere at the Matchbox bar.

11 comments:

Angela said...

Me too, I am deeply thankful. Also for you, Reya.

Rebecca Clayton said...

Yes! Thank you Reya!

Elizabeth said...

You said it so beautifully.
I'm pretty damn thankful and lucky too, dear Reya.
So much to celebrate.
Family, food, friends.
"Let us rejoice and give thanks"
Happy Day
and much love

Cheryl Cato said...

Oh yes and I echo Angela's comment. I am grateful for my friends & family both near & far; and I am especially thankful for my blog friends from around the world.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gary said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

And you turn my head for sure!

Reya Mellicker said...

Gary your head is easily turned, you lively man you!!

Much love to you all! Thankful for the blog realm and for blogclan, too. xx

Rosaria Williams said...

So many wonderful things to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving, Reya.

steven said...

love's up reya! happy thankful day! steven

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

This is a beautiful sharing. Thank you. And Happy Thanksgiving!

Merle Sneed said...

You make my life a bit richer. I' always better for the words you write.

Happy Thanksgiving, Reya.

C.M. Jackson said...

thanks for reminding me to count blessings and celebrate--hope you have a wonderful day!