Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's a stetson



It's all about the hat these days, seriously it is. I'm talking about my new cowboy hat (see profile pic on the sidebar). A friend convinced me to buy it while we were in Branson a few weeks ago. I hesitated since I am so NOT a cowgirl, or so I thought. Since then it has been hard NOT to wear it.

People notice the hat. They notice ME when I'm wearing it. They smile, they speak to me directly which is astonishing, since this is not a common urban behavior. On Facebook I've received several friend requests from people who love their cowboy hats. There's a whole sub-culture out there consisting of those of us who wear cowboy hats. Who knew?? Wow.

Just today it occurred to me that maybe I feel at home in the hat because I was born in the American west, in Denver, Colorado where cowboys and cowboy hats are not a fashion statement or a lifestyle choice. Cowboys in Colorado just ARE.

I'm thinking cowboy boots, too, might be a good idea. I don't want to go overboard or start looking like a cartoon version of myself, but a pair of boots would be appropriate, yes? I say oh yeah.

14 comments:

The Bug said...

Well, you look GREAT in the hat, so of course people notice. And, yes, definitely try the boots too.

Rebecca Clayton said...

You do look good in the hat. I love them, but I'm fixated on cowboy boots (I've collected a closet full of them, and I don't wear anything but boots...hence "Dr. Bootsie"....)

I've refrained from buying a hat because I'd look like Halloween every day...but I might get one anyway.

Reya Mellicker said...

Dr. Bootsie - any advice when I set out to buy boots?

You won't look like halloween!! Plus the hat is just right - it's warm, keeps the sun out of my eyes, doesn't blow off. I guess there's a reason cowboys wear 'em!

Lynne said...

Well, howdy ma'm! You do look right fine in that there hat if I do say so m'self. Mosey on down to nearest shoe corral and buy you some of them cowboy boots.

Don't be forgettin' your spurs now!

(seriously, love the Stetson! Not my thing even if I did live in Colorado for nearly 30 years but it looks great on you.) :)

From the lyrics to the "Streets of Laredo"
"I see by your outfit, that you are a cowboy."

Bee said...

Cowboy boots are always appropriate. Where I grew up, in central Texas, men wore them with everything -- even their formal suits. I wouldn't really associate you with Branson, Reya, but that hat suits you down to the ground. :)

steven said...

reya i remember the first real stetsons i saw were worn by men i worked with in kansas. they looked damned good even to me - the boys and the hats - girls in stetsons left 'em all in the dust! keep the hat, buy the boots, get good scarves for the throat area and the jean jacket and yer good to go girl! steven

ellen abbott said...

I like mine a lot. I only wear them in the winter though because every other time I'm barefoot.

Janelle said...

heh he he...i LOVE it that you're slowly morphin' into a cowgal, oh yeah! yes. you def need some cowboy boots (and two little silver pistols) so then we can say "reya get yer guns.". xxx j

Jo said...

Well, of COURSE you need boots to finish the look. There are some mighty fine boot shops I'll take you to on your next visit back to Missouri!

http://www.stlouisbootstores.com/western_boots_and_apparel.htm

Reya Mellicker said...

Janelle I think about you every time I put that hat on my head. I'm practicing saying the word "hoss." Wow.

Nancy said...

Oh yeah! Red ones!

Kerry said...

I love your new profile pic, and welcome to the world of hat-wearers: real hats, with brims and visors,hatbands and feathers! Never be hatless! If you are from Denver, surely it would be ok to also own a pair of cowgirl boots, which you don't necessarily have to wear simultaneously with your fabulous hat.

http://www.zappos.com/womens-cowboy-boots~3

Reya Mellicker said...

Kerry thanks for the link!

Merle Sneed said...

You look quite fetching in the hat, buckaroo.