Friday, November 5, 2010

Autumnal Lifestyle



I love a nice walk in the rain, love the sound of the raindrops on my huge umbrella, the splashing under my waterproof sneakers. I love the photo ops available when it rains, especially in the fall when leaves are plastered all over everything, shiny and pretty.

When I got rid of my car all those years ago, I learned about the pleasures of dressing for the weather. Waterproof shoes, a good raincoat, a big ole umbrella make all the difference. I can get out there, yet feel snug and dry all at the same time.

Still ... halfway through my walk yesterday I suddenly thought, "What am I doing? I don't actually HAVE to be out here." It was kind of breezy so managing the umbrella and the camera turned out to be a challenge.

The fresh air and exercise did me a lot of good. Even better was coming home, stripping off all the wet clothing, putting on my sweats, making some tea, and watching "Hannah and Her Sisters" streamed into my computer from Netflix.

Is there anything finer than Autumn? I think not!! Happy weekend, y'all.

16 comments:

Lynne said...

I think it was definitely worth you going out and grappling with your camera and umbrella to get those lovely leaf shots! The last one in particular. Just lovely.

I love autumn even if it means cleaning up all of my leaves!

ellen abbott said...

I never minded being in the rain on the river. As long as it wasn't cold that is. Cold, wet and overcast is my least favorite of the ways weather can be. But those are some awesome pictures of leaves so I'm glad you were out in it.

Cheryl Cato said...

Oh yes, coming home to a warm house & snuggle-ly sweats is divine. A nice cup of coffee, cocoa, or grog is good too. I especially like the bottom photo with the water beaded on the leaves. It's gorgeous here & chilly!

Nancy said...

I agree, the best part of exercise in the elements is the feeling of warmth and comfort afterwards. Have a wonderful weekend, Reya.

glnroz said...

and a happy weekend to you , Ms. Reya. I can't notice an automobile in an everyday setting without thinking of how you might "shoot" it..much fun it is..glenn

glnroz said...

oh, oh and the hat...perfect...:)

Linda Sue said...

Rain- it is what we breathe here- I have trouble romanticizing it though when I first moved here from the dessert I thought it miraculous and multi dimensional. Funny what you get used to-
Love your shots -very beautiful especially against the grey. You are so artistic!

Tom said...

us car people tend not to dress for the weather.
incredible still life--you've got a magic eye

steven said...

reya the second photograph of the leaves lying on their sides side-by-side is so very good! it tells so much of the story of autumn - the yellows and pale browns, the gentling. i love cycling through the snowy rain and the little winds that blow every which way and i dres in layers - up to four now top and bottom. then home to a warm shower and dry clothes and my books and plants.
there's good in every season. such different goods. steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Thank you, Linda Sue! From you this is a supreme compliment.

I too love the last pic. Looks like someone tucked the leaves into the that pocket above the door.

Glenn, glad you like the hat. That's a good sign - you know your Stetsons, I have a feeling.

Pauline said...

As always, your photos are splendid. I'm glad that despite the fact that you didn't "have" to be out there you went, and then shared your walk here :)

Cyndy said...

I love those luscious leaves!

Reya Mellicker said...

I love the word "splendid."

Whitney Lee said...

I totally love the new leaf pictures. So perfect and automatically make me think of Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday).

Gary said...

Autumn is so wonderful. Full of color, not too cold or too hot, just right Goldilocks. (And I also love Netflix.)

Lisa Ursu said...

I love this post Reya.
Tea and sweats,
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!