Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Remnants of Ida



It was a slow hurricane season in the Atlantic this year. After the onslaught of storms a couple of years ago, many of us on the eastern seaboard of the U.S. hunkered down for the duration, assuming that global warming had fundamentally changed oceanic weather. As it turns out, we were wrong. Though there were many hurricanes in the Pacific, the Atlantic was oddly calm this year, almost like the sun which has also been very quiet for the past year. Everybody has an opinion about these grand patterns, but the truth is, no one really knows why some years are busier than others in terms of hurricanes and sunspots.

Yesterday and today we in Washington DC are receiving the steady rainfall from what was once a hurricane, then a tropical storm, then a tropical depression, and now no more than a humble low pressure circulation. Still, it has produced a lot of water.



The rain has pushed many leaves off the trees. Later today when it gets breezy or even windy, not only leaves but all the tiny little twigs and stems will be blown out, leaving only the broad strokes of the larger branches in place for the winter.

I'm studying my packet of information about the Terra Cotta warrior show today, and reading my book, making some chicken and rice soup, and hanging out. Today is my last free Thursday until the end of March when the show closes, so it's rather convenient that it's rainy and chilly outside. The weather is creating a situation of enforced relaxation, such a nice thing!

Thanks weather gods! Onwards & upwards, Ida.

*One of these days I will write about Reclaiming. I'm not feeling that post today. OK?

19 comments:

The Bug said...

Mmm - I could go for some chicken & rice soup... It's a clear cool day here in Ohio & I need to finish shopping for Dr. M's birthday present. He was born on a lucky Friday the 13th - & he's turning 50 on another one!

Whitney Lee said...

Yeah, we've been enjoying the same downpours. The timing worked well for me since I've now got my daughter's cold. Fortunately I spent a portion of my Monday making a huge pot of vegetable soup. Who knew how appropriate it would be?
Enjoy your last Thursday of rest.

steven said...

hey reya - i'm just preparing myself to say thankyou to my mother-in-law for the many gifts she left during her seventy seven years on this planet. the photographs bear the same sort of rich, colourful quality of about to be flying awayness that i feel in the air around me. beautiful. steven

Elizabeth said...

Wet leaves are very good indeed.
So is staying indoors doing nothing.
Looking forward to seeing you before too very long.
Buster says Hi!

Sandra Leigh said...

You're early, Reya! When my kids were little, we had a book (by Dennis Lee, I think): in which was a poem called "Chicken Soup with Rice." Whenever the subject of CSwR comes up, I remember reciting "In January,it's so nice...Slipping on the slidey ice...Slipping once, slipping twice...Slipping chicken soup with rice."

Lynne said...

OH! It looks like you a beautiful fall with gorgeous colors. Look at those trees! Gorgeous photos, Reya. We didn't get any rain up here so I am jealous! I am ready for a nice rainy day or two.

Chicken and rice soup certainly sounds good to me!

Reya Mellicker said...

Sandra your ice/rice poem is GREAT!!

NanU said...

man, that chicken & rice soup sounds good. And fall is the prettiest season. Have a good indoor day!

(and if you happen to be facebooking and in need of a little diversion, just change your language setting to English (pirate))

Joanne said...

You've still got a lot of foliage going on there. We looked like that 2 weeks ago, but alas, all the leaves are down now. They say the rainy summer made for richer foliage color this year. Enjoy the last of it!

Tom said...

attack of the maple leaves...egads. Yes, you should stay inside on a rainy leaf-infested day, they love to cause slips and falls. I'm hearing that Sunday will be our wet and wooly fall day, which is just perfect for potato chips, beer and football. Cheers.

Ronda Laveen said...

Sounds like a lovely day. Your leaves are way ahead of ours. Winter-y yesterday. Today, sunny but chilly. Enjoy your snuggle down time. I'm going to try to make an assault on yard work this afternoon. I hope.

Barry said...

We are finally in the midst of a couple of weeks of decent weather after one of the rainiest summers on record.

Sorry you're getting all that rain.

Ronda Laveen said...

Yes, I saw that Hammer ended his blog. I kept reading the occasional comment from a couple of his followers that he was ending it. Guess they were right.

I'll miss Hammer-time. But am looking forward to his CD. What a guy!

Mrsupole said...

Those pictures are fantastic in how they show the fall foilage. We never get a show like that here in SoCal.

Although our flowers are still blooming and my tomato plants are still producing tomatoes. They have grown to almost 7 feet tall, and shockingly are still going strong. I do not think they have much more time left, but I guess I will find out.

Lots of rain would be so great, and maybe someday soon we will have rain here, to help put a stop to this endless drought we are experiencing. Chicken and rice soup sounds yummy. Glad you are enjoying your last free Thursday, but I am looking forward to hearing about your coming Thursday experiences with the Terra Cotta Warriors.

Oh, exciting times are coming, yippee for you. And us too.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g autumn colours!!
love the pics

Barbara Martin said...

Absolutely love the first photo. Ah, chicken and rice soup. What a grand idea considering I have both those ingredients at hand. We had a bit of rain here but it was soon replaced with sunny skies.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

ida missed us completely turning east

we've had lots of blue above but the colorful foliage is primarily on the ground.

our trees are more leafless than leafed

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks Janet!

California is a very arid landscape, Mrsupole. How cool that your coaxed your tomatoes into growing 7' high. wow!!

Sissco music said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.