Thursday, August 12, 2010

Through the Looking Glass



Dawn arrived this morning as always. My bedroom is quite dark but ambient light filters in from the kitchen. I love waking up to natural light so much. It makes the animal of my body very happy. This morning, the light came, but then it grew dark again. I was dozing off and on. The thought came to me: "Eclipse?" But I knew that wasn't right so I shook myself completely out of sleep, got up. A fierce thunderstorm was just beginning in earnest.

The usual pattern of weather in DC includes lots of summer thunderstorms, though ordinarily they occur in the afternoon. A morning thunderstorm is quite unusual, and y'all know I almost always love unusual. It was a serious thunderstorm this morning. At its peak I heard whooping and shouting coming from East Capitol Street, no doubt some poor person just trying to get to work on time, getting drenched, and finally surrendering to the beautiful power of the storm. The citizens of the District do not normally let loose with big ole wooooo-hooooooo's unless they are cheering for their team of choice. The storm seemed to respond by coming closer, getting louder and brighter. The hooting guy on East Capitol Street was dancing in shamanic alignment with the weather. Hope he didn't get struck by Brother Lightning.

I've written before about how I believe that every possible universe exists simultaneously, side by side. The realities that are very similar sometimes coalesce into one another. Also, sometimes I feel like a gate opens through which I can step into a reality almost identical to the one in which my consciousness resides.

The move into the chateau was a literal version of the above idea. I'm still here on Capitol Hill, still working at the same place as before, still cooking dinner for John and Manuel (they were here last night). My patterns and routines are almost the same as before, "almost" being the key word here.

Though at times as disorienting as a fierce morning thunderstorm, I'm really loving the new reality in which I've taken up residence. Physically, as well as spiritually, I am in such a different space than I was a month ago. Life is good and I am grateful. Bravo, Salaam and Shalom. And thanks Brothers Lightning and Thunder, Brother Wind and Sister Rain, for showing me in no uncertain terms how different this brave new world can be. Beautiful work this morning! A+. Oh yeah.


11 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I love waking to the sound of rain. Of course it doesn't happen in Phoenix that often so it's all that much more special. Sometimes I feel a shift in my life, that while it looks the same, it is in some small way different. You described it perfectly.

NanU said...

Me too I love waking with the light. (Not so good for getting to work on time in the winter, though.)
Have a good rain!

Meri said...

This morning I woke to a down comforter of fog, making trees look like ghosts and sound dampen to a hush. Yes, sometimes, I feel as if some part of me is living in a parallel universe, but still fully engaging in this one.

Reya Mellicker said...

Meri? Beautiful description of your morning. Fog is incredible.

Oh yeah. I feel the alternate realities, I do, like echoes, kind of. Or else I am really completely nuts.

The Bug said...

I'm glad you're happy - but I would like to steal a bit of your storm because we're so dry.

We had fog this morning too &, as I barreled through it at 60 miles per hour, I thought that perhaps I was pushing the limit just a bit. :)

Reya Mellicker said...

Safety first, Ms. Bug. Hoping Sister Rain pays a visit sometime soon. Do you have a rainstick? They really work!

Linda Sue said...

Rain sticks must be in abundance here- no problem with drought...the air has changed- marching forward into ...rain.RAIN and more rain. Your storm sounds like welcome relief to scorching summer there. Thunder- ohhh love it! turned up real loud scaring the animals like the fourth of july except way better.
Love your drawings by the way! Excellent, you!

Elizabeth said...

Yea for a a morning thunderstorm!

steven said...

i love weather. especially rain on weekend mornings. rain while i am staying in a tent. clouds billowing or scudding by. thunderstorms at any time of the day or night. the silence of mist rising off a lake or a river.
the confluence of alternate realities or universes or whatever they get called is so cool - especially when you experience it in yourself. a slight shift and the person in the mirror is the same but the person in everyone else's eyes is different. the person talking to you from inside yourself is changed. my first wife coined the term distanciation (first used by nietzsche) to cover that psychic, emotional, almost physical feeling of distance and difference from what you knew yourself as before. peaceful dc evening reya. steven

ellen abbott said...

Our day just slowly dawned.

btw, the Perseids meteor shower is tonight (last night too and I was counting on the cat to wake me in the early hours like she always does to go out and she didn't do it!)

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I love that yesterday was an awesome weather day here in Taos too. We too had thunderstorms (though not in the morning), and I experienced one of the most unusual rainbows I've ever seen, plus some great lightning, and a very loud thundercrack right over my head.