Sunday, August 8, 2010

Flush



Once upon a time, way back in the mists of my personal history, I was smart enough to take one day a month to flush my system. When the moon was dark, I fasted, drank only carrot juice and water for 24 hours. Even a mild-mannered cleanse like a one day fast resets everything, reminds the body what normal appetites look like. It's nice to let the digestive system rest once in awhile, to let go of habits such as caffeine, alcohol, chocolate and such.

In recent years I've let that practice slip, mostly out of laziness or perhaps self-indulgence or who knows why. By the time I got sick this last week, my toxin level was pretty much over the top, or so it has seemed during the early phases of the detox I'm currently experiencing. I'm not fasting, but am eating very carefully, while totally avoiding all my guilty pleasures until I feel "right" again, whatever that means.

It's always a relief to discover that drinking, coffee, even chocolate, are all just habits that aren't that hard to stop once I'm in a mood to do so. I was so sick this week, it was not a struggle to slam the brakes on these pleasant indulgences.

My mind clears during a flush like the one I'm now in the midst of. I see things from different angles, I feel so focused and able to contemplate fully. It's kind of a miracle - which begs the question, why don't I quit for good, live the pure and righteous lifestyle?

Oh. Come on! Life is short and I'm not dead yet. Carpe diem, baby. Never drink coffee again? Just shoot me! No chocolate, ever?? Back slowly away from me without my chocolate. A glass of wine or blender drink or occasional martini? As I always say, a little bit of alcohol is great for people, though too much alcohol is terrible for everyone.

Yes I am benefiting from the flush, and looking forward to a more moderate approach to all beloved poisons sometime in the future. In the meantime, just visualize me with a halo over my head, my hands in the gassho position in front of my heart, an angelic look on my face. What? You can't imagine that? OK. Neither can I.

Shalom.

19 comments:

The Bug said...

You've made Dr. M & I laugh today (as I eat the last piece of a chocolate cake I bought "accidentally" the other day). Enjoy your abstinence!

Tom said...

good that you know when enough is enough...too many don't/won't/couldn't
that bigger dog looks so much like our Toby, like he might in his older, grayer years

Jo said...

Smiling at that image, Reya. It's actually not much of a stretch to see you that way.

Enjoy the flush, enjoy the clarity, and enjoy your return to a moderate amount of self-indulgence. I hope you get some chocolate SOON.

Much healing love coming your way. Feel well.

Harlequin said...

What's that saying?

"All things in moderation - including moderation."

A good binge is good every now and then I think!

Cheryl Cato said...

It's soooo hard to do without coffee! I definitely have withdrawal & a headache if I don't get enough morning caffeine; however, when I'm sick from over-indulgence or whatever I refrain from most forms of caffeine & go with orange juice. I can't get enough of the OJ. Hope you feel "right" again soon. Take care.

ellen abbott said...

We just got back from the grocery store and although we did succumb to more than a few high priced indulgences, the sticker shock was enough to make me swear off eating. Carrot juice from now on!

Barbara said...

The right size black dog, but I picture Tony with a sleek, short coat and pointed, very alert ears. He will definitely have a tail that wags.

California Girl said...

Read this and your previous post with interest. I've done flushes but only under duress...for each colonoscopy. Not the same kind of flush you're doing although I usually begin the process with all clear liquids 2 days prior to the wonderful "final treatment" before the scope. I remember feeling hungry, then light headed, then pretty good!

As for the past week, I have either had insomnia or I can't stop sleeping. This weekend I've taken a 4 naps. I took Fri off and napped Fri afternoon, napped yesterday afternoon and 2x today. What the heck is that all about?

Meri said...

Of course I can imagine that, you Angel, you!

steven said...

reya a recent case of the one-oyster slide provided me with an unexpected and yet necessary purging of many of this bodies' accumulated toxins. i wouldn't recommend it as a matter of course but man was it thorough!!! steven

Reya Mellicker said...

Steven - oh man I've had that one bad oyster experience. It is definitely thorough!

California Girl - interesting bout the naps. Every one of my clients this weekend has passed out on the table, even the ones who usually remain alert. Who knows? Maybe we are being called into dream time.

Yep, Tony will have straight hair. I thought these dogs were both so funny looking, I couldn't help but snap their pic - at Eastern Market, just in case anyone is curious.

Reya Mellicker said...

Yes Harlequin - I do definitely believe that a binge is called for now and again, as well as a gentle flush. Variety is the spice of life!

kbrow said...

I was all excited when I saw the poodley dogs, thinking Tony had come to live with you and was a poodle. Funny..."Tony" was always in the running for a dog's name in our house, though recent associations of Tony Blair being Geo Bush's "poodle" caused me to veto it as Cricket's name.

I'd recommend a smallish poodle to you; there are lots in rescue, but the grooming IS a hassle.

I've been contemplating a detox recently myself, as every little thing I love is giving me the headache these days.

Linda Sue said...

I am too much of a shedonist- even when I feel like overstuffed shite I cram in more- I think that I might try a scrub - I might last for about 30 minutes...

Val said...

hope you are feeling better; the detox/fast sounds like something i should do too! love the pics as always x

Reya Mellicker said...

Shedonist? Oh yeah!!

Reya Mellicker said...

Hey k-brow. I just thought the dogs were so funny looking. I am not a poodle kind of gal - or at least I don't think I'm a poodle person. Who knows?

Tom said...

never thought i was the poodle type until i got my poodle-mix (mutt) but i love the nonshedding and non-slobbery qualities...plus he's a perfect little buddy

Reya Mellicker said...

OK Tom, you may be right. Jake didn't slobber, one of his great qualities.