Thursday, August 19, 2010

Not Easy


More atmospheric than explicit - a bus plowing through the heavy rain yesterday morning, outside the Sufi acupuncturist's office.


Life unfolds to the better way. --Mary Baker Eddy

Above is one of my very favorite quotes. I believe it, absolutely. The unfolding part, though, can be tricky. Apparently it isn't just me who is struggling this week. So many people are in crisis; yikes. A friend said it perfectly today - she feels "rattled" by the energy. I feel rattled, too. As a literalist with a "symbolist spirit," I'm thinking I'll spend at least part of today rattling - literally. I might even pull out my Big Ole Serious Shamanic Rattle. Usually I use a little one but big situations call for a big response.

If your life is calmly following its usual path, I salute you! Or if you just made a major change (I'm thinking of a friend who, after a lengthy engagement, got married last week), then you've done your bit and may perhaps be able to rest easy.

I moved house this summer after nine years on Tennessee Avenue, but apparently that external shift wasn't enough to satisfy the gods. My struggle is internal, manifesting as an upset stomach. When the Sufi acupuncturist felt my pulses yesterday, he said, "Oh - battling it out in there, are you?" Oh yeah. I don't think he has ever used as many needles as he did yesterday. The first point he needled is called "Not Easy" (hence the post title). You see this is what I LOVE about Chinese medicine. It cuts to the chase.

Though pulled thin this week, full of doubts and fears, I will survive, even if next week pulls me thinner. I am brave, I will be true at least if not exactly valiant. I will thrive - eventually. You see? I really do believe life unfolds to the better way. Onwards & upwards.

15 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Does this explain my cranky funk? Daughter is flying in for a weekend visit tonight so I imagine it will be gone soon.
I've only had acupuncture once for an injury. Do you only go when you are feeling sick or regularly?

Reya Mellicker said...

I sought out Chinese medicine originally because I was sick of hot flashes. After five years of terrible hot flashes, it took only TWO WEEKS of treatments: a few needles, and a TERRIBLE tea to cure me completely. I was so amazed.

After that miracle, I went every week for a year. The work helped me on every level imaginable - physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually.

Now I tend to go about once a month, more often during allergy season, and more often when I'm feeling weak on any level, like right now.

ellen abbott said...

So what's going on Reya, that has yourself in such turmoil?

The Bug said...

I wonder if I can find an acupuncturist in the middle of Ohio? Or, I should say - a GOOD one. For future reference - for those hot flashes I know are headed my way. Was the tea REALY terrible?

Dr. M & I had a small spat this morning which means that we're probably feeling rattled (another case of me being the man - he wanted to rant & I was trying to offer him sensible solutions. He was having none of it!). Of course, starting the new semester is always a time of transition for both of us.

Hope this tension passes and your new glorious path opens up soon!

Reya Mellicker said...

Ellen, I blame it all on the planetary configurations! I never need an actual reason to roil and freak out. I used to blame it on menopause, but since I started receiving acupuncture, that is no longe a good excuse. Summer was too hot? Who knows why. I'm a drama queen.

Bug the tea was so horrible I can't even tell you. But I only had to drink two cups a day for two weeks. It was well worth it!

Amanda Summer said...

reya -- there's a gold brick in the middle of your puddly foto - symbolic, don't you think?

Reya Mellicker said...

Didn't see it till you pointed it out, Amanda! Very cool. Eyes on the prize, eh??

A Concerned Citizen said...

Reya, please don't use that rattle to summon any more rain until I can get my gutters fixed and stop the water from pouring into my basement (yesterday was a challenge). (: )

My tea from the sufi acupuncturist, which I started today, also is terrible. I was a bit disappointed because the powder smells so good to me.

Reya Mellicker said...

The rattle has a fiery energy. Believe me, Adrianne I am not going anywhere NEAR the rain stick!!

Chinese herbs are horrendous. When I asked Evan why, he said, "They break patterns." So of course they would have to be awful. Or at least it made sense to me.

Zahara Celestial said...

wonderful photo..so evocative. Well done re: the house move...I am in the process of thinking about moving through reflection on how much I have changed and how much dare I change through embracing moving on. And yes so eloquently put Reya the external change/move is an internal process. I also wanted to add that there are major planetary movements this week and a lot of people have been in this challenge ~ words such as chaos and upheavel been used. And some have been ~ like you ~ working with this energy. The Goddess Brigid comes to mind forging that metal with fire and water....XX

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. Yes, chaos all around me. Thank you for your wisdom and friendship. love and Shalom

Tom said...

thru the downs and the ups, i've always ended up in a good place (tho' sometimes it didnt feel like it at the time)--who knows where the path will take us tomorrow!
i'd wish we had your rain, but then we'd get it, and then some...don't want to go there.

Nancy said...

Is that what's happening? I just ordered a survivalist set of seeds that actually produce more seeds, and can plant an acre of food. So it's not just me??

Reya Mellicker said...

No Nancy, it isn't just you. Read Silver Fox's comment. She is the creator of the "Big Ole Serious Shamanic Rattle" I mentioned in the post. It looks like a bone, is full of stones she gathered in Wales. That rattle ROCKS.

Steve Reed said...

I love that quote. I like to think changes are good -- and plenty of change going on around here, too -- but they're not always easy. I'm having all kinds of anxiety over my new job. Just remember that all of this will pass, as everything does, and ease will return! :)