Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Social Studies



What happened to yesterday? What I remember about days off work from the house on Tennessee Avenue is a whole lot of leisure time. Here at the chateau, my social life has picked up to such a degree that even my "weekend days" disappear in a poof of smoke.

Ironic that living alone has tilted me in the direction of extroversion, such an unusual state for me. People drop by, ring the doorbell, come in for whatever I have on hand (not much since I haven't even had time to get to the supermarket.) I go out - for lunch, dinner, drinks.

Hectic? Yes. Fun? Oh yeah. But ... I do miss hanging out here in the bloghood. This afternoon, between this and that, I should have some time to get around and visit.

Even now, at age 57, I learn something new every day, and every day I am surprised by something or another. Life is good and I am grateful. Shalom.

11 comments:

NanU said...

Now they have to seek you out, you've become the rare jewel!

Pauline said...

Your reflection photos are marvelous! Things will settle down, no doubt, and you'll have leisure time again.

Lynne said...

Do you know more people in your new neighborhood? Or is it because you are living by yourself and not sharing space with others that prompts people to be spontaneous?

Sounds like you are having fun!

Reya Mellicker said...

Hi Lynne. No, sadly the people on Tennessee Avenue were the BEST neighbors in the world, they really were.

Truth is I'm a little too funky to live on the grand boulevard of East Capitol. Yeah, these people are well bred and well behaved, unlike my ex-neighbors who are all of them so familial. One of them drove past me the other day, rolled down her window and shouted, "You ABANDONED us, Reya!!" I really miss the block of Tennessee, but the chateau is fabulous.

ellen abbott said...

You social butterfly, you.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I love your story about your previous neighbor - "you abandoned us", must feel good to be missed.
I hope I will be learning new things when I'm 90.

Angela said...

Well said, Reya. No, don`t let them make you feel guilty. Sometimes we`ve got to move on. You can always come over here for a meal! Do you like fresh bean salad? We can pick them together, add an onion, some oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper. And along with a freshly baked piroschki you can tell me of your day. How is that?

Reya Mellicker said...

Fresh bean salad sounds delicious! It's so damn hot!! It would be the perfect lunch.

Tom said...

living in 2 worlds?

C.M. Jackson said...

happy for you--new place and new directions--it is all good

Steve Reed said...

Learning something new every day is definitely the way to go! A worthy goal!