Monday, January 30, 2012

Riches



I don't have money or real estate, a car, savings (to speak of) or a retirement account sitting in a bank somewhere. Nevertheless, I am rich in friendships and sisterships and brotherships, first and foremost. I'm stinkin' rich in professional satisfaction - I love my work! I'm also rich in history and experience here at the end of the decade of my 50s.

The blue skies and warm temperatures this winter in DC, though decidedly weird, have made my walks a pure, rich pleasure of comfort and beauty. Hence I've been out there more often than I usually am during winter, collecting images of rich beauty, like the ongoing series of portraits of my buddy the Capitol dome, richly adorned by clouds.

A friend and I walked down to the American Art Museum Saturday to see the Annie Leibovitz "Pilgrimage" show. It's incredible - no people in these pics! Beautiful. I will definitely return to see it a few more times. One thing I love about Smithsonian museums is that they're free, enhancing the richness of experience since I can pop in and out as often as I like.

Many of the riches that are part of my life are available without ever leaving the chateau. Yesterday I listened to Krista Tippett's interview with John O'Donohue three times. Beautiful!

I'm off in a little while to buy groceries at Whole Foods, a temple of foods. Every time I walk into the produce department I think of that famous story about Khruschev when he visited a grocery store during a visit to the U.S. in 1957. They say he teared up, seeing all that fresh food.

May I PLEASE never take for granted the riches of my life! May it be so. Happy Monday.

6 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Well said! I feel exactly the same way. I blogged about the Pilgrimage book a while back. My mother gifted it to me - I love it. Would be great to see the images in person. I feel just a little richer having met you and learning from you.

Reya Mellicker said...

Jeanette me too. How about the pair of images of Virginia Woolf's writing desk next to the water in the river where she killed herself? Wow! Sorry I missed your post.. X

Ashley Ashbee said...

Thank you for so eloquently redefining wealth.

It's a good way to start the week.

steven said...

wealth - redefined for me by realizing one morning how incredibly fortunate i was to wake up!!! no shit reya!!! steven

Jo said...

Reya, every time I turn on the water faucet and hot water appears, I feel just the same way...rich beyond words!

I've teared up many times when I stepped into a long-awaited hot bath. How luxurious that is!

I'd love to see the Leibovitz show. It sounds fascinating! xo

Steve Reed said...

We are wealthier than we know, and it's so easy to forget! Thanks for the reminder. :)