Friday, April 3, 2009

Blessings


The White House with a couple of blooming trees and hordes of cherry tourists, April 2, 2009

In George Carlin's opinion, God doesn't give a flying F about America, so why oh why do we always say God Bless America ?? It's a hilarious monologue, well worth watching. He was so funny.

Until recently, I wholeheartedly agreed with George, especially since I don't experience God as a Being with a personna or personality. But ever since election day last November, any time I hear our president speak, or see what he's doing in his administration, or like last night when I learned that he negotiated with the presidents of China and France in order to move forward from a moment of stalemate at the G20 meeting, I wonder if God actually has blessed America.

At this moment of greatest need in our country, for this guy to show up, and get elected - when the odds against that were phenomenal - and for our president to be so good, seems supernatural to me, an Act of God. If God did have a personality, wouldn't She have looked down at the U.S. during the last administration and thought, "They need help!"

For most of us Americans, Barack Obama came out of the nowhere, fully formed, ready to be placed inside the White House to do good deeds and mend so many wounds - already! After yesterday I'm wondering if, after being president for eight years (I hope), he might become a great diplomat, a negotiator of sticky issues all around the world. Do you think?

God bless America? I think She did! Bravo!!!

The visit to the ICU yesterday was a wonderful experience and was not limited to ten minutes. I'm still processing what happened; it was all very good. I'll write about it as soon as I find the language to describe it. My client was breathing without the respirator by the time I got there, on the mend. He will be fine. Thanks to all for your thoughts and encouragement. I felt it, and I bet he felt it too. God bless you and God bless America!


Lafayette Park, in front of the White House

19 comments:

Mary said...

wonderful post....on all points. I'll look forward to your thoughts about the ICU - I, like you, didn't have any words and needed to process the concept hence no comment ( though many thoughts). Happy it went well.

JOY said...

Yes, SHE blesses us in many ways. I'm grateful for the positive acts that are happening in the world. I'm grateful for our President. I'm grateful for your thoughts Reya. Glad your client is uplifted too!

Unknown said...

yes She did- i am interested to hear more of your time teaching the Craft Reya- what a fascinating woman you are xx

Reya Mellicker said...

I like calling God a "she" even though, for me, God is without form, and therefore without gender, though immanent in all forms and in all genders. I'm one of those people who believes any time I try to describe God, I'm missing the point. But still, I have to - sometimes.

That said, I respect all views on what God is or isn't.

tut-tut said...

It's such a different apspect, of us and for us, don't you think that the world and we get with our president? The house has landed and the door opens onto a bright and colored vista.

I'm glad for you and your client

Tess Kincaid said...

I think you are totally right. God did bless America with President Obama, thankfully!!

Lovely shot of the White House, Reya. I felt a positive spirit just looking at the pic and knowing who lives there now.

ArtSparker said...

I'm someone who needs to leave a putative deity out of it...but I got chills when I heard about G-20 business. It seems we have a president who is every bit as good as the last one was bad.

Would he have had the freedom to make the move towards honesty in statesmanship and social change, or even to get elected, without the debacle of the preceding eight years? I wonder.

Washington Cube said...

When I think of Bush in there for eight years, all I can see is him playing with his paddle ball and waiting for his lunch tray with the peanut butter sandwich and oooh...what's the snack? While he destroys the world, of course.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

not to be greedy, but more blessings please.....

Ralph Suarez said...

Here we are, all different kinds of people and yet, we are so connected! We stand on common ground and share grateful hearts. Thanks for lifting my spirits. It's been a hard and LONG day at work.

Reya Mellicker said...

Cube: Pretzels. Remember? of course you do!

Washington Cube said...

I was out today, per Reya's command, thinking, "There's Reya's damn pink blossoms all over the friggin' place." o:)

:::twirling Reya's chair while she's trying to type back what a smartass I am:::

Cu...whoops twirl....

be stoppit...whoops...twirl...

Delwyn said...

I wish I could sit on that park bench and feel the confetti of pink blossoms falling over me...


Grace is non specific, it always is... there are no favourites...

I wonder then why we feel it sometimes and not others...

why some people seem to miss out,

why some countries suffer so...

karen said...

I'm addicted to these blossoms!
Looking forward to hearing about the ICU experience... have a beautiful weekend! x

PurestGreen said...

Great post, Reya. And once again the photos are wonderful. I love the continuous touring around your neighbourhood as the seasons change. I would love to see a photo of your favourite coffee spot.

So glad to hear many Americans are feeling proud and hopeful again. Now if only you could all aford to travel (the UK tourism industry could use a pick-me-up). :)

moonshin said...

whenever you are ready, Reya...

and when you do, i'll be listening from half way across the globe...

or rather, i'll be reading... either way, i am here. all the bloggers are here. as friends. we are all connected to you =)

God bless you.

Ingvar von Wald said...

Hi! when I read this post I found that americans complain about the President. I was a little disappinted.
You say, that US needs help. When I have only one question:
What should Ukraine do to rescue?

California Girl said...

I believe, long after he's left office, the people of the United States will discover how truly intelligent, capable and brilliant this President is. I do not recall another president, in my lifetime, who conveyed the honesty about situations and the willingness to listen to the opinions of others, be they from across the ocean or across the aisle. in such a forthright manner. He simply astounds me.

Amy said...

George Carlin was indeed a funny and smart fellow and made some excellent points.

Being the non-believer that I am, I don't subscribe to the idea that any being is "blessing" America, rather that we finally reached a point where we realized that we had to do something in order to pull ourselves up out of the mire and decided that we'd better not keep going down the same road we'd been traveling for the past eight years.

It is after all, a country founded by men (many of them secularists) and founded for We The People. We are a rarity among developed countries. We owe a serious debt of gratitude to those men who blessed us all by demonstrating such care in drafting our founding documents.

Always love your insights!