Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Zhong-a-Rama

Another thunderstorm rolled through DC last night, bringing in its wake some refreshing, cool air. I'm so glad because I was beginning to bounce off the walls by yesterday afternoon. I took my walk of course - by myself since none of the dogs was interested, but I have to admit it wasn't fun. It was like walking around inside an oven. Cathartic, perhaps, but not enjoyable.

Eventually I gave up on the idea of spending time outdoors, fetched my colored pencils and started drawing. I started on paper, of course, but boredom (or was it creativity?) inspired me to put away the sketchbook so as to work in a multimedia environment. I drew some nice silver circles on my bathroom door. With a purple sharpie, I drew the Chinese character zhong (means "center") on the back of all my tank tops. Constrained by the relatively small size of my tank tops, I turned to my bedspread. That's one hulkin' dude of a zhong on my old bedspread. I like it.

I was on the verge of beginning a zhong mural on the wall when I realized it was time to start making dinner. Thank God for the dinner bell!

You see I am truly not fit to be stuck indoors for long periods of time. I am SO glad the weather broke! Oh yeah!

12 comments:

Laurie Brandriet Keller said...

I think that is pretty fabulous!

Bobby D. said...

I think it's fabulous too! Sharpies totally count as art supplies! I once had these silver and gold very slick marker- pens and just walked around looking for things to trim in gold and silver. A whole lot of rocks got metallic embellishments that day.

The heatwave and then the booming thunderstorm kept me indoors drawing and painting all day too. I used cardboard, rocks, and an old piece of wood to draw on. I do want to do a wall mural someday, though.

Reya Mellicker said...

Ched! I do that, too! Nothing like a nice pen to inspire a person to add flourishes to the natural world.

LOVE YOUR cupholder painting from Tangled this morning. It is truly fabulous.

Deborah said...

it's a far, far better thing you do

given a day of being stuck somewhere
I fall asleep for hours
or
Play on the Wack
or
Play Webboggle

:-(

Love you and your creative doings

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I believe a statue should be erected to honor whoever invented sharpies!! I love sharpies! ah I'm think there's a photo waiting inside my sharpie box it is a colorful june on the mouse! zhong - great word. the character is quite compelling easy to understand your zhongathon!

Reya Mellicker said...

Would the statue (dedicated to sharpies) be a gigantic pen? Trying to imagine the design. Maybe a group statue with people of all ages using sharpies for different purposes.

Or not?

lacochran said...

On the few occasions when I've tried to modify something on the fly in a fit of creativity, it's never turned out the way I imagined. Glad you can envision things and make them work out the way you see them!

Reya Mellicker said...

It's never the way I imagine it, but still it's interesting. If I really screw up, I can always get a new bedspread.

Anonymous said...

that's a mighty zhong there, nicely done. but if you are trapped inside and know you're going to adorn everything in sight if not stopped, you could always choose a much more elaborate character, with many strokes. there's a word for "snuffle" with a gazillion strokes.

Aileen said...

This post made me laugh out loud!

As I envisioned you drawing zhong on everything, it struck me as such a beautiful, uninhibited child-like thing to do!

I don't think I've drawn on a wall since I was scolded for doing so at the age of 3...

Reya Mellicker said...

We were never scolded in my family. On the contrary, we were encouraged to draw, make music, do anything creative. My parents were lenient to a fault and I do mean a fault.

But it was fun for us!

My father painted a mural of the Macabee family on the living room wall. I painted at least two murals, a world map in the hall and an abstract spirally thing in my room, not unlike the shapes I still like to draw.

My mother drew a gigantic menorah on our living room ceiling one Hanukkah, saying she planned to repaint the ceiling just after the holidays. The repainting never happened, but the chalk menorah was fantastic.

My parents were NOT mainstream. I come by my oddness honestly.

Barbara said...

Your mother, who painted pictures on your ceiling, would be proud of you! I can just see you zhong-ing away on everything in sight. This is so YOU and why I love to call you my friend!