Monday, September 24, 2012

Some days I wake up early



I am a morning person. I love the brand newness of morning, I love knowing that the whole day is stretched out ahead, full of potential. After a cup of coffee, I'm ready for anything and in my heart of hearts I believe anything is possible. Oh man, I love mornings.

Some days, like today for instance, I wake up very early - probably too early in terms of getting enough sleep. When I do, though, there's no point in trying to go back to sleep.

Today I got up while it was still dark, meditated and prayed, stretched, ohmmed, then put on my clothes and went for a walk. It was almost chilly, gorgeous, crisp. The sun was just coming up over the horizon as I set out. It was a wonderful way to greet this day.

I love seeing people emerge from their houses first thing in the morning, before they've had the chance to harden against the day. Later on they'll be wearing the masks of professional demeanor, looking fierce - or bored - in compliance with urban public behavioral customs. Once people get into their commute, they are fully armored energetically. But in the midst of their first few steps out into the world, especially on a beautiful day, they look so sweet, unguarded, fully revealed. There's an authentic, honest openness about them (most of them) that disappears after a half block and/or as soon as they get into their cars.

A walk in the morning through my village of Capitol Hill guarantees at least a few chance meetings with friends, clients and neighbors. A quick exchange of great to see you and how are you? and let's get together does my heart a world of good.

It was a great morning to get out there. This beautiful morning reminds me that the HHD will come to a conclusion soon. The slate will be clean, the new year will begin. I will leave behind the tattered loose ends of my life (the work of this year's HHD) so as to move into the fresh, and as yet unwoven, warp and woof of 5773.

Bring it on, I say. Shalom.

4 comments:

The Bug said...

Oh I have so longed to be a morning person! I've tried a number of times to shift my internal clock, but without any real success. Maybe after baseball season is over I'll try again - I already have to get up between 6 & 6:30 a.m. every week day, but I'd like to start being consistent & getting up that early on the weekends too. Without feeling like I hate myself - ha!

Oh & if you got to see me heading out first thing, you'd see me pause in the doorway to look at the yard (for birds) & then it's full speed ahead to the garage & out into the day :)

Reya Mellicker said...

It's genetic or something, Dana.

But the night owls are the COOL people who write novels in the wee hours or play jazz or something ultra super cool.

You shouldn't hate yourself for being a night owl! That's your rhythm. Go with it!

Steve Reed said...

We've talked about this, Reya -- I'm a morning person too, and I feel just the way you do. I get so much done in the morning, when it's quiet and before everyone else gets up. The only downside to getting up TOO early is I sometimes feel groggy later!

Elizabeth said...

Super post, Reya!
Yes, yes, to early mornings!
Just off to take the dog out.
Something so lovely and new and fresh when few people are about....
Peace.