Thursday, September 6, 2012

Late summer stagnation



According to Chinese medicine, there are five seasons: fall, winter, spring, summer and late summer. Late summer begins in mid-August and continues until autumn equinox. It is a time of thick humidity and stagnation and I do not like it.

Hence I complain. I bitch. I carry on.

Someone who reads my blog came by for a massage the other day. She said, "How are you?" I responded, perhaps a bit more sharply than I intended, "I can't wait for fall." She said, "Uh. I KNOW."

Oops. Busted. Oh well.

Because I dance in shamanic alignment with the weather, right now I'm as stagnant as this swamp in which I live. There is no point in trying to post anything fresh or interesting here until the weather shifts, which might be awhile. It's supposed to be close to 100 F. tomorrow. Bloody hell.

This too shall pass? I hope so.

9 comments:

Lynne said...

That poor house looks like it's being strangled by those vines rather than wrapping it lovingly in an embrace. whoa.

I too hate this in-between-season period. Not cool enough to open the windows (hello! humidity!) but yet it's not hot enough for the air conditioning to run. What to do? Wait it out I guess...

Reya Mellicker said...

Yes, strangled. I am not a fan of vines in general. They capture the feeing of the season.

I keep the a/c going. Otherwise everything indoors becomes damp. As I lost all my clothes earlier in the summer to mildew, I'm unwilling to to live with the humidity indoors.

Counting the days till fall!

Anonymous said...

Feel the same about the vine. That is not a nice vine and it doesn't play nice!
Our family had an imposing tree in our front yard once that we were all frightened of which is ridiculous because it can't up and chase you. We were glad to leave the horrible brooding tree behind and move on.
Late summer must be the pmt of all seasons yes?

Reya Mellicker said...

It is here, definitely!

Trees have very pronounced personalities. There are trees I'm afraid of, too.

ellen abbott said...

I think we're having one of our hottest weeks of the summer this week. Supposed to cool down some by Monday. We need to be preparing the garden now but it's still so hot.

Steve Reed said...

I did not know that about Chinese medicine. Interesting. Late summer DOES seem like its own time, doesn't it? Particularly in the swamp of DC.

Hope some fresh air blows your way, Reya!

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks. The weather is supposed to turn on Sunday. I am so excited

Kerry said...

Even here in chilly Oregon it will be over 90 today. It is its own season. (I do like the tomatoes that it produces though.)

I hope you get relief from the heat and stifling humidity pronto.

Washington Cube said...

I walked in the post office today and the first thing out of her mouth was "I am HATING this weather." It's universal.