Thursday, January 20, 2011

Full Viral Moon



All hail the viral overlords for they shall inherit the earth!

Aw hell, what am I saying? Planet earth has always belonged to the viruses, as it will again once the larger lifeforms depart once and for all. You know those charts with all the families of living beings that usually feature the forms we're best acquainted with? On an accurate family tree, anything larger than a bacterium would occupy only a tiny corner.

I'm thinking about this today because an invading virus got the best of me yesterday. It was one of those intense, sudden-onset ailments. I got up, felt a little tired but that's not unusual. Took my shower, meditated, wrote the blog. And then. Then, I felt it bite down hard waaaay deep inside my belly.

Needless to say, the rest of yesterday was a total wash. I know there are ways to mask the symptoms of the flu, but I don't believe in them. My great San Francisco doctor wisely said, "Let the symptoms express themselves for three days. If, after that time, you're still sick, call me." Let the symptoms express themselves. I like that idea, that in some way, fighting off the ailment is my body expressing itself; it makes sense, at least to me. I also know that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - I like to give my immune system a chance to triumph, though yesterday what I felt like was some poor idiot, flat on my back, but still waving my fists around. Ha! That virus kicked my ass.

You know all the flopping around, fever, aches, moaning, barfing, etc. is not the work of the virus, did you know? That's your immune system fighting the virus. Healing is a very dynamic experience. Also kind of trippy. For awhile yesterday I felt like a Borg cube. I have no idea what I mean when I say that, but I did. My spirit guides wanted me to clear my head and visualize blue. Blue sky, vast blue sky. It really helped, though again I can't say how or why.

Today I did a lot of sleeping, drinking weak tea. I had some yogurt with bananas, watched NCIS DVD's. I'm on the mend, but ... whoa.

15 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Yuck, sorry Reya. I like the 3 day rule, going to remember that one. I have had NCIS marathons myself :)

Reya Mellicker said...

I love NCIS. A guilty pleasure.

steven said...

i've had a germy army holding manouevres in my throat and my chest and my head and especially my eyes for the last few days. but not the ugly buglies you're describing! keep your eyes on the blue skies. steven

lacochran's evil twin said...

I hope you're on the mend.

The Bug said...

Glad you're feeling better. That Mark Harmon is dreamy - I'm sure he helped a LOT :)

Dan Gurney said...

I always smile at myself when I (the Buddhist who goes around wishing "everyone" well) takes a murderous stance towards viruses, bacteria and other creatures trying to have a good day at my expense.

It's a vicious smile and it makes clear I do have boundaries to my well wishes for "all" sentient existence.

Reya Mellicker said...

I'm a McGee fan, actually. Though Mark Harmon is a serious babe!

Steven hope you're soon on the mend. I'm a lot better, still recovering from the healing battle yesterday.

Reya Mellicker said...

Dan? Oh yeah!!

Vicki said...

Glad you are better, I wondered where you were! Love!

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Whoa, indeed. I love your doctor's way of putting it; I don't think I'll ever forget this.

Myself, I had sort of an emotional virus yesterday, the first of its kind in a long while. And my symptoms definitely expressed themselves. Thankfully, it didn't need three days to get out of my system.

Glad to hear you're on the mend with the help of NCIS. We've been having a My Name Is Earl marathon here lately.

ellen abbott said...

We must give our immune system free reign in order for it to be strong. Do you use anti-bacterials? I think the explosion of their use in the home has devastated our immune systems. Our symptoms are not from the virus but are produced by our immune system to get rid of the virus...I hadn't really thought of that, but yes. sort of like it's not dying that is painful but the struggle to live that produces the pain. I may be starting to understand the 'general wisdom' in India that life is pain and their search for release. Oh but then, think of all that would be missed.

Glad you are coming out triumphant and that the battle was short.

Reya Mellicker said...

I do NOT use anti-bacterials. Basically what they do is make the bacteria they can't kill stronger. Plain soap and water work well.

C.M. Jackson said...

feel better Reya--Mr Jackson's been down for a week---taking my vitamins and hoping for the best--I think we all need sunshine and warmth--stay warm-c

Val said...

i hope you are feeling better Reya ? x

Jo said...

SO glad you know to listen to your body. Allowing it to express itself is wise, indeed.

Distracting your mind away from your body's misadventures with NCIS? Brilliant.