Friday, March 20, 2009

Welcome to Springtime. Good luck!


That's the statue in front of the Rayburn building. The flowering tree is on the Capitol grounds.

One of my favorite spring activities is a brisk walk down to the Capitol midday during the work week. All is beautiful and serene - well, at least the environment is serene. I'm talking about the sweetness and light of daffodils and the pink clouds of tree blossoms, soft air and sunlight. In the midst of this pastoral setting though, is a furious mob of dark suits, ID cards hanging around necks (like balls and chains), furrowed brows, eyes focussed on the Blackberrys in hand. The mob is rushing around, this way and that way, oblivious to the gentle beauty all around. It's kind of hilarious.

Please do not misunderstand - I'm not making fun of the people who work in the legislative branch of U.S. government. They are the hardest working people I've ever known - by a long chalk. It's just funny to see them in spring.

This scene (even more extreme right now because of the AIG scandal) is a perfect mirror of the paradox of spring equinox. Spring is anything but balanced here in DC. It is tumultuous, veering leeward and windward from pleasant balmy days of sunlight and gentle breezes to dark, raw, windy days of bitter rain. The barometric pressure, humidity, temperature, and wind are all over the place. It's hard to know how to dress for every possibility. You might be freezing, you might be sweating, who knows?

Spring is the craziest season, which might be why it's legendary for creating moodiness in our species. We humans are cheerful and optimistic one day, lethargic the next, then restless, impatient, argumentative. But an hour later we're calm and replete - no problem! Then we're giggling, then crying. Our spring holidays also reflect the paradox, being as they are about terrible suffering followed by redemption.

In the midst of all the spring sturm und drang there is one moment when day and night are balanced. That's today, Spring Equinox. It's the only moment of balance in spring, so I guess I'm going to embrace the moment if possible, yes? I'll try.

25 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

A day of balance! Lovely sentiment. I came to see what Amy and Angela were fussing about. WE do travel in small circles, don't we?

Reya Mellicker said...

I love our blog family so much. I really do.

Mary said...

Your photos of the trees this week have been SO BEAUTIFUL...please keep'em coming. I have so enjoyed finding you and having my morning coffee with Reya........
and the paintings?

tut-tut said...

Yes, I'm looking forward to your night sky paintings . . . It's nice to be reminded that today is balanced.
Have a lovely weekend, Reya.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

the mercurial nature of spring certainly keeps us on our toes!!

beautiful flowering trees! happy spring!

NanU said...

I find it's true that the only thing balanced about the spring equinox is the rising and setting of the sun. Otherwise it's all about bursting out into new life, rediscovering green and the caressing warmth of the sun, and going ahead full force!

eerupps said...

I love reading your insightful posts each day and really enjoy your pictures as well. I envy the fact that you can just stroll through D.C. at midday any day you want--it is a beautiful city! Thanks for your words of wisdom and beautiful pictures!

Deborah said...

too true
i'm all over the place now
love you so

Bee said...

I spent the morning in the garden, trying to capture the beauty of the day. I can feel the warm sun, and then the sudden chill of stiff breeze, as I read this post. You describe spring's contrasts so well.

I love your observations, Reya.

Steve Reed said...

I can certainly identify with this post. When I left home this morning it was SNOWING. Now it's bright and sunny outside!

Unknown said...

Jake looks Regal! Happy Red Letter Day, (perhaps my favorite)!

Mrs. E said...

The mercurial nature of spring is a little too close to my own nature. Maybe that is why I love autumn so much. (Some of my world needs the calm.) I love your photography!

A Cuban In London said...

A walk in springtime or autumn is one of my favourite activies. In the latter you life collapsing whereas in the former life is blossoming. And add balance to that. Many thanks for such a lovely post. Have a nice weekend.

Greetings from London.

Reya Mellicker said...

Hey CanadiErin (waving) Glad to "meet" you. I tried, but was not allowed, to make a comment on your blog.

I did feel kind of balanced today, though my work day was one extreme after another. Onwards & upwards into the light!

Delwyn said...

New life
new hope
new starts
new clothes
new adventures
new foods
new creations

all in flux


and I don't even have spring happening here... Once again I'm coming from the future of summer...

and I've just realized that Easter makes a lot more sense in the northern hemisphere...

Mrsupole said...

Spring is in the air, that is all I can feel today. Yes, it the most wonderful day of the year and we have been waiting weeks for this day.

I love the two reflections of Jake, that was so cool.

Thank you again for a great post.

God bless.

Natalie said...

Autumn equinox here, Reya. This is my favourite, just as Mrs E.said.
Here in Australia, it signals the end of endlessly stinking, hot summers.

Your photography is magic. Thank You.xx

Reya Mellicker said...

Some parts of Australia (it's a big continent so it's probably not true of every corner) were awfully hot and horrible over the summer. Lisa is one Australian blogger who is very glad that fall has arrived.

Yes Easter is a northern hemisphere holiday. Definitely.

A Concerned Citizen said...

Loved the photo of the Rayburn bldg, which is my new home away from home. Yesterday I went into the Capitol for the first time in about 10 years (that's where I got caught on film), and I totally thought of you. It is beautiful, it is magical, and the energy is miraculous -- charged and calm at the same time. It felt like home. There's a recess in April -- we should take advantage of that "slow time" to get you in!

Ronda Laveen said...

I also felt balance during my work day today but coworkers and clients were either half-tilt or full-tilt. Interesting.

My simple ceremony for today consists of a single lit candle on behalf of Gaia, all of her kingdoms and inhabitants, as we gently (or not so) move into this time of birthing our intents. May all flow with grace and ease as we hold to our truth within the reality which we create. May the light of this day gift each of us with memories of our divinity.

Oh yeah, I'm also playing some Van Morrison and Marvin Gaye's "What's goin' On." What the heck is reflecting Jake's image? A chrome bumper, a thick piece of old timey glass, some kind of silvery, orange-peeled car paint? What is it? I gotta know!

Reya Mellicker said...

Ronda I LOVE your equinox blessing and simple ritual. Beautiful.

Jake is reflected in the bumper of an old car.

Adrianne - YES YES YES YES YES!!

Reya Mellicker said...

Ronda I LOVE your equinox blessing and simple ritual. Beautiful.

Jake is reflected in the bumper of an old car.

Adrianne - YES YES YES YES YES!!

Carolyn said...

Thank you for the reminder of balance. Happy spring! I love the second photo with Jake. Have a wonderful weekend.
Smiles

hele said...

here we are plunging into winter. long rainy days with burst of sunshine. crisp blue skies, hailstorms uprooting trees and fragmenting pumpkin leaves.

i have often wondered about how much control we have over destiny. As much as we have over the weather? I wish, wish I knew the answer to that one.

Fire Byrd said...

Spring is here today too.
It such a great time of year, particularly at that moment of balance before the see- saw tips the other way.