Friday, April 4, 2008

The Daily Grind



Sometimes I love my daily routine. I should say usually I love it. Wake up at the same time, do all the morning stuff in the usual order: shower, meditate, walk dog, drink coffee, read blogs, go to work, etc. Routine makes me feel safe and secure. I feel contained in a rational structure of first I do this, then I do that.

OK.

Some days I feel trapped by my routines and long for anything different. The usual habits seem stifling, make me claustrophobic. I begin to wonder why why why why. You know the feeling?

When I was younger, sometimes I would just pack up all my stuff and move to another city, start from scratch there. The benefits of these impulsive moves to far distant time zones were mixed. I did get to start anew, oh yes, but I also had to rebuild my life over and over again which meant it wasn't possible to evolve my relationships with the landscapes, communities, jobs, or neighborhoods in which I lived. Lord, I was born a ramblin' man! And my life was a house of cards, rising and falling every few years in accord with my restlessness.

Not so much anymore. I could see remaining on the east coast until the moment I complete my daily grind forever. These days I look to the turning of the moon as a substitute for moving to a new city. It's not as dramatic, but serves the purpose. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I get antsy.

Boy have I been antsy lately! But ... today is the turning of the moon, offering me the possibility of recovering a molecule of beginner's mind. That's a good thing. Welcome, new moon. Welcome!

10 comments:

R.L. Bourges said...

reya: thought you might like this
" electrical energy - mounts upward in the spring. The direction of this movement is in harmony with that of the movement of heaven. it is therefore a movement in accord with heaven, producing great power."
It's from Hexagram 34 of the I Ching - The Power of the Great. This hexagram corresponds to the second month (March-April).
More here
http://theabysmal.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/i-ching-hexagram-34/

Barbara said...

I think we all take comfort in our routines. They are what makes life predictable. A completely open slate of a day is far more daunting. I keep trying to leave a chunk of time every day unaccounted for so I can practice some spontaneity. That's when fun often occurs...

dennis said...

Dennis has a lot of energy all of a sudden--napping less, jumping more, routines shattered! --restless time of the year this green time!

Reya Mellicker said...

Not everyone Barbara. Some folks detest routine. I was married to one. I know you like to schedule your day, but it's not true for everyone. Honest.

Deborah said...

this was a beautiful relevant post
through the video several times over
it seems specifically relevant because i am almost 2/3 through the book, eat pray love which resonates with me, with thoughts of you and hannah and tovie and emily and me

if you have read it let's talk soon

you've always been a seeker, a learner, moving through your fear with great courage and creativity and so able in the moves, giving up what was building anew and yet not being so bound to what you built that you couldn't let it go and move on

a higher calling Reya
a bold, beautiful soul

Love you so much,
Deborah

Anonymous said...

But think what you brought to the new place. Think of the importance of the new kid on the block. You've always been the pollinator and the pollen - what you bring and take away and leave little bits of behind is you.

But now you have a blog! You can do it from one place!

Reya Mellicker said...

I love blogs and bloggers and commenters. It's a brand new kind of community.

Eat Pray Love is a book I had to put down at page 137. I'll explain in detail at some point.

Dennis please don't tell me there are times when you're not so energetic. I don't believe it!

Reya Mellicker said...

Deborah, the vid is a crossing under the gate to DC's Chinatown. I love that gate! The vid is bumpy, but worth it for the last 6 seconds.

Gary said...

You took this while driving?...

Reya Mellicker said...

Not to worry. Barbara was driving. I was in the passenger seat.