Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Caught in the Snarl



I reserved a Flexcar for many hours today, hoping to get many many many many errands out of the way all in one fell swoop. Usually I spread my weekly errands out over time, but today, I decided to get organized, motivated, and uber productive.

My goal is to Do Everything I Can before the week of Thanksgiving, because during the holidays, all hell breaks loose on the streets of the nation's capital. Everyone is running hither and yon, driving like maniacs. It's just the way it is. Since I'm hoping to enjoy the holidays, I thought I'd nip all that running around in the bud. It was such a good idea.

Please don't misunderstand - I did get many things accomplished - almost everything on my very long To Do list, in fact, which is amazing, really! I was very ambitious. But I paid a price for my productivity, mostly because I had to do so much driving. It would have been OK except I got stuck in not one, not two, but three traffic jams. Major repairs on Rock Creek Parkway and the late afternoon beginning of the commute caught me by surprise.

I turned up the radio and tried making some little vids to amuse myself as I sat waiting and waiting for the traffic to begin to move. How do people do it every day? How do they manage to drive through the insanity without going completely nuts? I don't get it.

Tonight I'm making soup after which I plan to veg out in front of the television. What a day! Whew!! It's great to be bi-pedal again.

7 comments:

m.a. said...

I need to have a flexcar day sometime soon. I understand the pain of traffic and don't want to go back. :)

Unknown said...

Was that a little yelp of "help" at the end of that video, Reya :-) Priceless! What is a flexcar?

I've decided the only way to deal with traffic jams is to just accept them and use the time to muse. But I also don't know how people cope with them everyday, though I remember in a previous life having to do so.

Your reflection shot is a classic. Excellent stuff!

Reya Mellicker said...

Flexcar is a car sharing company. They're parked all over DC neighborhoods. You reserve them by the hour. It's a GREAT idea and works well.

I used to drive around all the time before I let go of my car. I guess you get used to the stress, just like everything else. But I'm no longer used to traffic jams.

Yeah that's me yelping. So pathetic, aren't I?

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! What a great video. That little cry for help is adorable. I like the way you view life through your viewfinder.

Gary said...

I love you Reya! I'm not sure Geico would love you driving and making a video but you look so yummy I could eat you up!

lettuce said...

i LOVE that glimpse of you at the end!

Reya Mellicker said...

The glimpse of me at the end was completely spontaneous. I look so sad.

And Gary, not to worry, I was creeping along, barely moving. It looks like I'm going faster than I really was. Oy vey!