Friday, October 5, 2007



These little tufts of ice crystals, the cirrus floccus clouds in the pic (reflected off the back window of a red minivan) must be the weather god's way of thumbing his nose at me and all my yearning for precipitation and fall weather. Though these clouds release trails of ice, those trails will never make it all the way to my little corner of the troposphere.

It's the nature of cirrus clouds to be beautiful - and aloof. They are the highest of the high clouds. Dang, man.

I learned about cirrus (and other clouds) by reading The Cloudspotter's Guide by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society. Though the book is overly charming, it provides a lot of information, and it is entertaining.

One thing I can say for cloud gazing is that it gives me something to do while I wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for fall.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Fall is definitely alive and well. But he's taking his sweet time going South this year. I'm sure it's global warming -- isn't that the source of all our weather woes?

m.a. said...

I keep waiting for that first crisp day, where the wind catches your breath for a moment. I just can't wait for it. :)

Gary said...

This picture is SO clear. Wonderful. This is such a lovely time of year even if the weather has not been what I would prefer (today was rather hot in NYC). Still, so far this year I have been apple picking and will go through a corn maze on Sunday. I have pumpkins and apples in my classroom and the kids are talking up Halloween. I love it all.

lettuce said...

a gorgeous pic. (as usual!)

i might look out that book, I find clouds fascinating too. One of the best things about flying, that unbelievable experience of being in the midst of, and through and above the clouds.

Reya Mellicker said...

I bought the first pumpkin for our front porch last week. But it's hard to feel autumnal when it's so hot and muggy.

What's really the hardest thing for me is to separate myself from the weather. If it's stuck, I feel stuck. And it's stuck!!

Lynne said...

I always love your photos; this one is great!

We might get some rain next week and with it some autumn temps! Keep hoping!

I too am waiting waiting waiting ...