Wednesday, October 3, 2007

ONLY

Too bad I'm not temperamentally suited to Buddhism - because there are many versions of "the" truth expressed so elegantly, so clearly, within that set of traditions. I borrow Buddhist practices all the time, like loving kindness meditation, for instance.

One of the Buddhist truths is that it's good to let go, let the past move quickly away with the flow of time, like the wake in the water behind a speed boat. Sometimes I think that's not possible, sometimes I wish it were possible, sometimes I somehow manage to genuinely release a little bit of my historical flotsam and jetsam. Anytime that happens, afterwards I'm light and empty. It's such a thrill!

My family's experience in Kansas City is a blatant reminder that all experiences I had growing up, the joyous ones as well as the super painful eras, exist only in my memories. Every other trace of my "formative" years is gone with the wind. I could let go of all that, theoretically. But do I want to? Would it feel better?

It's so interesting to think about!

8 comments:

Lynne said...

wow, when you look at it from that perspective, ONLY is a very complex word! It becomes not just only.

Pod said...

sometimes it just isn't enough to want to let go is it?

i couldn't let go of jakey or instance, and here he is! hurrah! my spell worked!!
;0p

Reya Mellicker said...

Pod you are mighty!

Barbara said...

YOU still exist as a living reminder of your formative years. Most of us can never really escape our past, one of the things that came out loud and clear in my session today.

The video is great. Is there a message in ONLY ONLY ONLY?

Steve Reed said...

I think Barbara is right -- we can let the past slip behind us, but that doesn't mean it didn't contribute to who we are now. We're changed by everything that goes on around us. So it's natural to think about how past events have influenced who you are today!

Reya Mellicker said...

Those events exist ONLY in my memories, though ... all the places where these things happen have transformed completely. It's ONLY my tissue, my heart, brain, that retains the past.

lettuce said...

LOVE this vid!
brilliant

Reya Mellicker said...

Thank you, Lettuce. You and I have a very similar vid aesthetic. I always love yours, too.