Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Street Gravy



It hasn't rained in ages here in Washington DC so I shouldn't be surprised that the rain puddles, such as they are after a brief but GLORIOUS thunderstorm yesterday, are full of street goo.

Instead of dazzling mirrors, the puddles accumulated during yesterday's storm were swirling with auto drippings this morning. The oil and other residues created fabulous patterns on the surfaces of the puddles. I couldn't resist taking some pics.

These images are not photoshopped in any way except to increase brightness and contrast. Cool looking, aren't they?

On the other hand, I'll be happy as a clam when the rain comes back full force, pushes the deglazed auto goop into storm drains and, eventually, the Anacostia River. OK, I'm not happy about the river, but oh how I would love to see a nice day of steady rain that falls from a featureless, dark and heavy cumulus stratus layer of cloud.

I would LOVE a nice day of rain. Hear that, weather gods? wink wink!

12 comments:

Lynne said...

I love this!!! What a cool photo, but I'm trying to pretend the cool colors and patterns within are not what I know them to be.
;)
We had a whopper of a rainstorm last night which left us feeling squeaky-clean. More is on the way, never fear, Reya!

Lynne said...

we can ony hope it's not some new kind of primordial soup!

Reya Mellicker said...

Please blow the rain in our direction, Lynne. A full day of steady, soaking rain would be heaven.

Primordial soup? The goup is all petroleum product, so maybe these puddles could cook up some dinosaurs. No? OK.

Hammer said...

Cool effect - sort of reminded me of van Gogh's "Starry Night."

Didn't think I'd be commenting in Reyaville again so soon, but welcome back.

Barbara said...

As pretty as these pics are, it is disgusting to see all this junk that is accumulating for lack to a good rain. Maybe it's time to get out your wand... I'm sure Harry Potter could make it rain!

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks Hammer. It's slightly embarrassing that I couldn't resist the siren song of blogger and came back to it so quickly, but the whole process - quitting, then starting again, has been fascinating. Of course it's still my voice here on The Gold Puppy, but the form of this blog is different in many ways from Gold Poppy. It's still finding itself, and too I again have a place to post certain pics and vids, and am back in touch with blog kin I don't run into every day.

Why, I wonder, do I feel I have to justify this? Even that is interesting!

Reya Mellicker said...

Barbara, why don't you get out YOUR wand?? I'm working with my rainstick (aka wand) every day. The more of us talking to the sky, the better.

C'mon ya'all - call the clouds to gather themselves and become heavy, call for them to let down and let it rain. Talk to the sky, talk to the weather gods, c'mon!!!

Steve Reed said...

Oil slicks do make fabulous patterns, don't they?? Quite nice...aside from the toxicity. I'm glad you got some rain, finally. :)

m.a. said...

I would like a copy of that photo. I'm emailing you later this afternoon about this one.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

catching up....way COOL pictures. I expect rain is on it's way if not already arrived! the rain stick works.

lettuce said...

puddle spong?


fab pictures

Reya Mellicker said...

Lettuce, LOL!! puddle spong?? You are sooo funny!!

Kimy - keep imagining. Please?