Friday, October 26, 2007

All Because of the Rain



The pattern of drought has been broken, and though the official measure of annual rainfall is still far below average, the last few days of soft, soaking rains have been an excellent tonic for the land.

I'd forgotten what damp earth smells like - gosh - it smells so GOOD! Everything looks shiny and as replenished as possible given that we're now deep into the fall season when living things are supposed to shrivel up in preparation for winter. Certain plants, like the rosemary bushes, are suddenly plump and resinous. They, too, smell incredible. In fact, every trace of the dry stink has been washed away. My prayers of thanks have been continual. What a relief!

One thing that rainy weather always brings to me is a rich dream life. Dreams are a watery realm, so it makes sense. My dreams are easier to recall, too, maybe because when I wake up and see it's all gray and rainy outside, I stay in bed just a little bit longer than I usually do, so I have time to dredge up the dream snips that are usually lost in my rush to begin my day.

There's no denying that during a rainy day in autumn, all levels of psychic awareness are enhanced. I've been going with that flow, as is my habit at this time of year. Every evening I've been hanging out with the ghosts, lighting candles and burning dried rosemary in honor of all my ancestors and for the Mighty Dead. My spirit guides are vivid and chatty, too, and very instructive these days, a Very Good Thing since they're so smart, and love me so much.



Most of the time, the shamanic lifestyle does not appeal to me, even though - whether I like it or not, I am a shaman. (I know that sounds pretentious, but I really am.) But in the fall, when it's dark and gray and rainy, when the leaves drop and the spirits are wandering, I surrender to the season, my dreams, the loving spirit guides and so forth, and just sink into the magic that is always a part of Halloween. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

9 comments:

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara said...

Part of your appeal is your shamanism, which I am convinced has been with you since birth. Just enjoy the richness it adds as you surrender to the season, your dreams, and the demands of life.

m.a. said...

You are a shaman.

Apropos of nothing, we need to get together soon.

Gary said...

Isn't it lovely to stay in bed a bit longer on rainy days. That is such an incredible feeling - warm and snuggly. I think I will do that tomorrow if the rain continues.

Looking forward to learning more about spirit guides, shamanic lifestyle and dreams.

Steve Reed said...

That's my plan tomorrow, too, Gary -- I love all this gray rainy chilly dampness! Woo hoo!

(Reya, I'm up and running again, BTW...:) )

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i'm finally able to reconnect w/ the blogosphere and catch up a bit. have loved your this week's posts - so happy the rain has come - your pictures are AWESOME...I never thought about the effect of rain on my dreams, but given the vivid dreams I've been having these last few days of rain, I think they do spark a rainbow in my dreamosphere too! no wonder I've always said "rain is my favorite season"...just never made the association. so much comes to us in the world of dreams.

change, commitment...a season and a reason for both.

Lynne said...

I wish I knew better how to connect and enhance my awareness of spirits around me. My dreams these nights are so perplexing and mixed up with the dead and the living. My Dad would know how to guide me, but alas, he can't help.

For now I am just drinking in the moisture and grayness and loving it!

lettuce said...

i'm so glad you've had some of the rain you needed and wanted.

that smell after the rain is hard to describe, isn't it? and wonderful, even in a city.

i love that top picture, its superb

Reya Mellicker said...

Thank you, Lettuce!

Steve I am SO GLAD you're back. I missed you.

I've never seen Washingtonians so glad to see gray skies and rain. The weather is so crucial even though many of us rarely even think about it until conditions become extreme.

It's still raining this morning! When it rains, it pours!