Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blank



As a young person, I loved reading novels. Growing up it was Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and classics like Little Women, of course. I read Ivanhoe because there was a character named Rebecca in it, but I don't remember a thing about it. I think I read it to please my father.

As a young adult I found authors I loved so much I read every one of their books, such as Walker Percy, Gunter Grasse, Don DeLillo and Margaret Atwood, for instance. Later I got hooked on the central and south American magical realists, like Julio Cortezar, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the great Isabele Allende.

Right around age thirty, my interest in novels evaporated. I started reading non-fiction then; I've never looked back. People lend me novels all the time, saying, "I know you don't read fiction, but THIS book ..." I open these books but try as I might, can not get myself interested in the characters or plots. After a few pages, I sigh and shake my head sadly, put down the fiction, pick up my history, biography or science books, with which I am fascinated, spellbound. There is so much to learn!

Of course there are exceptions, for instance I read all the Harry Potter books. I've read a couple of Dan Brown books because they captured the public imagination. Should say I read them as an exercise in sociology because that dude is a terrible writer, holy cow. But he knows exactly how to put his finger on the societal pulse beat of the moment. For that I admire his work.

Right now on the iphone I am plodding my way through the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Those books are very fun, a guilty pleasure, like reading People magazine.

Because I signed up for National Novel Writing Month, I've been trying to imagine a plot, I've been inviting my mind to create some characters. It's rather hilarious that whenever I try to "see" my novel, my mind becomes a total blank, an empty canvas, a pure, clear, tranquil space. This morning while meditating, instead of the usual ways of focusing (such as on my breath, or using a mantra), I simply opened my mind to allow room for the novel to come into being. Every thought vanished within seconds!

It's likely I will not be writing a novel in November. I'll write something, but I'm dubious it will be fiction. However I am very grateful to have discovered the absolutely greatest meditation technique I've ever used. And it's funny, too. Oh yeah!

11 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

Oh, you made me laugh, Reya! You may have discovered a new deep meditation technique. Have fun with this!

Reya Mellicker said...

Ha. Thanks, dear.

steven said...

too much expectation!!! i think there's a novel in the coming together of your blogger chums at a small cabin ..... the horrible, beautiful, untold truths that emerge!! oh my reya . . . . . i was wondering if you'd had your snowfall yet? steven

kbrow said...

I'm thinking about using the month to just reorganize/edit/rewrite some old tarot columns I did years ago, for my old circle's newsletter. Reading that old stuff makes me want to scream, and it bothers me that its sitting around as web archive for public consumption. I think it'd take me about a month to do it.

There's no fiction in my head, though it comprises the lion's share of my bookshelf. And yes, A Song of Ice and Fire is one big, beautiful bonbon of a series. I'm indulging on Kindle, but feel sad, because my machine tells me I'm 17% of the way done with the last book...

ellen abbott said...

It's fiction for me. I read for escape or entertainment though I will pick up the occasional non-fiction book. I like historical fiction though. Right now I'm reading a book set in late 1950s red China.

Love that top photo.

Kerry said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with, Reya. I bet you could write a wonderful "creative non-fiction" piece.

Cyndy said...

That's hilarious! I guess sometimes good intentions are meant to be just that. I'm looking forward to what you might write instead.

But I really do like Steven's suggestion, and I'll take it one step further, and down a more ridiculous path - how about a weekend rendevous in a cabin with blogger chums that somehow evolves into a murder mystery comedy! Okay, nevermind.

The Bug said...

Can I be one of the blogger chums that gets killed right away because she went alone into the forest? :)

I'm a fiction girl all the way. Try as I might I just can't abide LEARNING while I'm reading. I should probably make myself read at least one nonfiction book a month though...

Reya Mellicker said...

Dana, why should you read non-fiction if you don't like it? Read what you want to read.

Cyndy - ha! The smartest people I know LOVE murder mysteries. I read a few back when I was a fiction reader, but they didn't hook me.

It occurs to me that everyone who commented here would do a lot better job of writing a novel than I could! Ha.

But meanwhile, my meditation is, for the first time in years, fabulously smooth!

Steve Reed said...

Ha! That IS a great meditation technique. I must say, that's exactly what happens to me whenever I think about writing a novel. (Or any book, really.)

I keep forgetting you're not a fiction reader. I still love fiction, though I had the same reaction to Dan Brown that you did. :)

Pauline said...

love the bird the leaf shadows created on that wall... maybe you should write about that!