Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bye bye, Bob.



Beauty is now underfoot wherever we take the trouble to look.

John Cage said that. He was talking about Robert Rauschenberg's work, the way Bob's cheerful, collaborative, irreverent, inclusive and original aesthetic helped many of us look at the mundane world in a brand new way.

I won't try writing an obit - I'm sure there will be many wonderful tributes written about him, but I had to say goodbye to one of my nearests and dearests in a public way.

It was Bob (primarily), but also Jasper and John and Merce, who inspired me to look carefully at what's supposed to be ordinary. I know they were following the lead of other giants, like Marcel and Man, also inspirational to me, but not as personally as the Bride and the Bachelors. Thanks Calvin for writing that book, and thanks to my friend Nate Fors for lending it to me so many many years ago.

Bob? Have fun in heaven. I'm sure you will! Hail and farewell.

7 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Definitely one of the greats! He did some work at the university I went to in Florida, so I always feel bonded with him...

Deborah said...

a great loss
to the world
thank you for this
tribute

love you

Washington Cube said...

I didn't know Bob Barker died. JOKING! That would be "Come on down," wouldn't it? JOKING!

Just think. He's in heaven telling Andy Warhol, "Andy! They auctioned your corsets and wigs at Sotheby's!"

Reya Mellicker said...

OMG. I'm sure that's actually happening somewhere up in heaven.

I love the idea that Andy Warhol went to heaven - oh yeah!

See Cube? You do have the All Seeing Eye.

John said...

Hi, I just wanted to say that I think the photo of your dog and corner fence reflected in the sheet of water is remarkable. I saw it in your last post on the Poppy blog, and see you have a cropped version of it here in your header banner. You have a nice eye for the significant in the urbane.

hele said...

The last photo compliments this post in such a wonderful way.

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Wonderful images and thoughts as always. You inspire me to look more closely at details in my own world and appreciate their beauty.