Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rhythmics



Have you ever thought about how many rhythms are ongoing in your body all at once? It's not just heartbeat and respiration. Up and down your spinal cord, all around your brain, there is fluid in which the central part of your nervous system literally floats. The fluid pulses rhythmically, or so you hope. This deep craniosacral rhythm is subtle, feels ancient and oceanic.

There are many other overlying rhythms of course, like the circadian for instance. Sleeping and waking is a definite binary rhythm, the timing of which can either make or break your day. I remember when biorhythms was a big trend. That must have been during the 70s, finding correlations between three separate biological rhythms. I don't remember how it worked but I do know that on days when all three biorhythms were at low ebb, I wanted to duck and cover.

I could go on but the point here is that we are rhythmic beings on so many levels. I don't know about you, but when my rhythms are interrupted, I'm a bit of a wreck for awhile afterwards. A client of mine says she doesn't "transition" smoothly. Oh yeah, me neither! Even with plenty of sleep Thursday night, I was not right all day yesterday. I felt one step removed from the day passing before my eyes. I guess I was still Zombie Gaia Reya.

Last night I tossed and turned and today I feel completely out of it again. There are heroes out there who can work 24 hour shifts and bounce back from it. I am not one of them. Fortunately it's a rainy morning in DC and because I left my umbrella at the hospital, I'm forced to sit on the couch in my jammies, drinking cups of tea, listening to music. I might do this all day. We shall see.

I'm listening to very rhythmic music this morning, hoping it will inspire my rhythms to snap back into place ASAP. May it be so!

4 comments:

Jo said...

So glad to hear you are not pushing yourself to get "back into gear!"

Yes to the jammies. Yes to the cups of tea. Yes to the music.

Your body will adjust much more quickly and happily, I'm sure!

Enjoy the day, Reya.

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, Jo. The body never lies!

Washington Cube said...

I was up all night and I read an entire book. :)

I've been listening to this all morning, just enjoying the drone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5Yuv_YXUA&feature=related

steven said...

a jammie and tea saturday!!! i imagine that at some point every living thing has its own version of that . . . imagine the whole of nature settling into a day of conscious relaxation? i gues you could call that a summer's day . . . hmmmm steven