Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Best Years of My Life



I saw an old friend over the weekend, someone with whom I was very close except that about 17 years ago we kind of lost touch and haven't seen each other since. It wasn't a hostile parting of the ways by any means. We lived in different cities, she married and had kids while I was deeply immersed in my life as a priestess and witch. Our lives veered off in wildly different directions. And the years went by, you know?

It was of course wonderful to see her and have a chance to catch up somewhat. I love the noble truth that deep heart connections do not weaken over time. We were back in the swing of our friendship within two seconds of seeing each other.

One thing that keeps coming to me since our meeting is how much happier I am than the last time I saw her, or when I initially met her, many years prior to that. These are the best years of my life.

Getting older suits me. I was very awkward as a young woman, completely incapable of managing the energy or the hormones. I was rather like a character in a Woody Allen movie: smart, very neurotic, always on the make. Oh the trouble I've created for myself! All I can say, in retrospect, is: wow.

Life is good and I am grateful. Shalom.

3 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I really relate to what you're saying here. I saw an ex a few months ago - he was actually my first of the only three long-term relationships I've had. I hadn't seen him in 20-odd years and I was completely blown away by the familiar feelings that were just immediately there. And also, like you said, there was the awareness that I am so much better at "me" these days, so much more at home with myself.

Steve Reed said...

I think we grow into a more comfortable self as we age. I know that's true for me as well.

Reya Mellicker said...

For some, it's the opposite. I am happy to be a late bloomer!