Friday, August 31, 2012

In response to a restorative emergency



Yesterday I took the whole day off, thanks to clients who agreed to reschedule their appointments. I really needed a day completely unstructured, completely free.

It has been a good summer, but a stressful summer. The Holocaust museum, the tattoo, which (should say) I'm beginning to get used to, the stalker, not to mention the awful month of July, the hottest month in recorded history in the U.S. It wasn't as hot here as in the midwest, but it was bloody hot. And of course there is the presidential campaign which is poisonous all around. By yesterday, with that old devil moon coming to fullness, I was at the end of my rope psychically, psychologically, and physically as well.

My day off was glorious and restorative in ways that are hard to describe. I meditated and prayed as usual in the morning, but after that, I did exactly as I damn well pleased. I didn't clean the chateau, I didn't cook, I didn't listen to the radio (as there was way too much venom being spewed over the Republican convention. Who needs that?)


At the National Botanical Garden

There's a spaciousness, literal and metaphorical, in a completely unscheduled, unstructured day. A day without plans is a large, well lit room with no furniture and many windows, all thrown open so the breeze can blow through it. Ahhhh.

See? I really did need a day off!

I met a friend for coffee after which I walked my ass off, popping in and out of my favorite locations on Capitol Hill and the national mall. It was perfect.

When was the last time you reserved an entire day to do exactly as you please? I highly recommend it. Shalom.

7 comments:

mouse (aka kimy) said...

yeah to restorative actions - just what the shaman needed.

been out of the bloggyhood almost all summer and somehow missed the stalker chapter in the book of reya. hope that chapter is closed and OVER.

shalom! enjoy the blue moon and happy september eve

xxxx

Reya Mellicker said...

May it be so!

Can't wait to see you soon. xx

The Bug said...

Good for you! I had a really stressful Wednesday night & realized that it was so stressful because I've started to resent having to be at work five days a week, basically from 7:30 until 6:00 (I'm counting the commute). Five days every week & then church on Sunday. We're heading into fall with choir & other obligations & I just feel OVERWHELMED (and what in the WORLD do people with children do - gah!).

I'm hoping that Labor Day will help - and shouldn't it, with that name? If not, then I'll just schedule a random day off in the middle of the week. Sounds delicious!

Reya Mellicker said...

Do it! You will not regret it.

ellen abbott said...

always on my birthday and then several other days scattered through the year.

Butternut Squash said...

Just the sort of message I was looking for. Tomorrow I will take the day off.

Peace.

Steve Reed said...

You DID need a day off. I love your description of an unstructured day as an empty room with lots of windows. That's EXACTLY what it feels like.