Thursday, July 25, 2013

Nature Girl



Before my first witch camp, like many urban creatures, I spent most of my time indoors. My father hated "nature" (whatever that means) hence we never, not ever, took a walk or picnicked. Instead we were taken to the bowling alley where there weren't even any windows. As kids we spent time outdoors with our friends, but I was a fearful child who preferred to stay inside, quietly reading. I was a different person back then!

I remember coming back from witch camp. Oh man, the re-entry was a bitch for so many reasons, including the fact that all of a sudden it felt very weird to stay indoors all the time. Though my habits began to change at that time, it wasn't really until Jake came into my life that I made it a practice to spend as much time as possible out of doors. It wasn't until Jake that I realized how important it is for me - a shaman! - to connect with Brother Sun, etc. That dog was one of the greatest teachers I've ever had.

When Jake died, I wondered if I would retreat to the world of inside spaces, but I didn't. Not only do I walk every day, but I also like to sit out in front of the chateau between clients. It's calming and grounding to sip the air, gaze at the clouds, and such. When I take continuing education courses or have some other reason I need to stay mostly indoors all day, I get a little stir crazy. I feel disoriented when cut off from the sky, trees, birds and weather.

It's a beautiful day in DC today. I got out for a nice walk, so I'm good, but the men are still working on the sidewalk, hence I don't have the option of sitting out there, enjoying today's cool, dry air and sweet temperatures. What a shame.

Oh well, I'll get over it. They'll finish someday, yes? Please say yes.


8 comments:

The Bug said...

Yes! (Eventually...)

Anonymous said...

Wow Reya, sometimes I am really blown away by the similarities with us. I recently had a bit of a blog rant how as children we never went anywhere because my Dad hated nature too! My husband was part of a family that loved the outdoors and camping - couldn't believe my luck!

Reya Mellicker said...

Pam! We are truly sis-stars. I pray that we meet in "real" life at some point, preferably sooner than later.

ellen abbott said...

I remember when I got back from my longest river trip...10 days of being outside 24/7. it was impossible to stay inside. I had taken a tent but only used it one night when it rained. every other night I slept under the stars. talk about re-entry being a bitch.

Reya Mellicker said...

Re-entry from those experiences can be shattering.

Steve Reed said...

I'm the same way -- getting outside and taking a walk does wonders for me. Staying inside all day is agony.

Reya Mellicker said...

Agony. It surely is.

ain't for city gals said...

YES!..soon. We live in the middle of the beautiful Arizona desert at the 3000 foot elevation. I cannot imagine spending a whole day inside..ever.