Saturday, July 27, 2013

A thing of beauty - now that the job is complete!



Here ye here ye, the sidewalk is done!

And may I say, it is truly magnificent. Beautiful! The guys who did it are artists, perfectionists. I watched them through my window, carefully and mindfully engaged throughout the process. Even during clean up, they were fastidious. I would recommend them to anyone.

I spent a lot of time out there yesterday. I watered the garden thoroughly and spent a considerable amount of time talking to the plants, clucking my tongue in sympathy about all they went through last week. They didn't like it, they surely did not.

Also of course I sanctified the new walk by saging thoroughly. I used to be embarrassed about this kind of behavior, but everyone who knows me understands my shamanic lifestyle and those who don't have seen people do much weirder things on the streets of DC than my shamanic dancing, burning sage in one hand, a feather in the other, a look of reverence on my face.

I sat on the bench on the terrace, and on the front steps. I arranged and re-arranged my potted flowers, trying to get the feng shui just right. The best part was the feeling of peace and harmony in the wake of the construction.

I am so easily rattled. For heaven's sake.


9 comments:

ellen abbott said...

it is a very beautiful sidewalk.

Reya Mellicker said...

Grand and gorgeous. Onwards & upwards!

starryeyed said...

Ah it's been so long since I read your blog! What a treat to "hear" you. I just bought my first smudge stick. :)

Reya Mellicker said...

Waving hello. <3

I used sacred white sage but before that I used the bunch of juniper that smells kind of like gin. It's cheerful and cleansing. The sacred white sage is more formal.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Reya- I had it totally wrong. I thought it was ordinary guys doing and ordinary job on an ordinary grey pavement/sidewalk - that is something else! Looks beautiful - well done to the workers!

ain't for city gals said...

Is that blue stone...on my next trip back to Va I am bringing a cargo trailer to bring some home with me. It is so gorgeous.

Reya Mellicker said...

It might be bluestone, I'm not sure. What I know is that it is beautiful! The old sidewalk was really nice, but it was uneven and Larry's patients (as well as my clients) occasionally tripped as they came and went.

They didn't do the easiest thing. They thought about it, they consulted the soul of the house. They chose wisely - and the people who did it were artisans - truly, they were. I am in awe.

Reya Mellicker said...

When you come to Virginia, come to DC. Why not?

Steve Reed said...

It does look very precisely put together. Good Feng Shui all around, I'd say. :)