Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Be the elder



.
What does it mean to be an elder? I'm thinking about it after the Voice in the Shower yesterday said BE the elder. BE was emphasized. Hmmm.

I didn't have a lot of time to contemplate because I had clients all day yesterday. As it turned out I had to work at the top of my form all day.

There was no such thing as a clear-cut session yesterday. I apply myself to the situation at hand, of course - no matter what's happening. I'm grateful that for many of my clients, a session of massage is nothing more than an hour of peace on the table, or a remedy for a stiff neck or whatever. But yesterday all my clients were facing extraordinary situations that involved their bodies, minds and spirits. I was cut no slack as a healer yesterday.

It was a great day of work! Satisfying. At the end of the day I was tired - yes - but in such a good way. It wasn't the fatigue that comes from frustration or failure, or after boredom - no, it was the happy fatigue that follows good work.

Is that what it means to BE the elder? That I can step up to the plate as it were, address these complicated sessions capably is the result of years of study, practice and experience. No way I could have done yesterday's work when I was forty, for instance. I still had so much to learn then. I have no doubt there is yet still so much to learn.

I'll be thinking about it for awhile. It's interesting.

One thing that came to me this morning while I was allegedly meditating is that part of BEING the elder involves becoming even closer to the ancestors than I already am. I have been listening assiduously to my ancestors of blood, spirit and karma lately - more so than usual.

Below is a pic of the ghostly throne I inadvertently created the night before last. I draped the sheet over the rocking chair because it wasn't quite dry. Then I sat across from it on the couch, looked up and realized what I had created - a place at the table (as it were) for the ancestors.

May the ancestors come closer, may I listen carefully with respect and love. I will remember and honor them. In exchange, I believe they will help me BE an elder. This is today's theory.

Shalom.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...I was cut no slack as a healer yesterday". It occurred to me recently that it is the same with shamanism - it is so direct, purposeful - a job to do and do it well.
Whether this is just my meditative experience but it is almost "get out of my way and let me get in here and do the job"... other aspects of healing seem much more gentle and malleable, yes?
You have such a wide range and depth of experiences Reya - so much to contribute.

Anonymous said...

..the 'get out of my way' refers to the shaman energy - intensely focused.

Reya Mellicker said...

Yes, Pam - agree completely!

Anne said...

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I like the being an elder; I was always looking forward to it, and I wasn't wrong.

And it's interesting how I work easier but more intensely.

Thank you, honey!

Anne said...

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I like the being an elder; I was always looking forward to it, and I wasn't wrong.

And it's interesting how I work easier but more intensely.

Thank you, honey!

Reya Mellicker said...

Thank you, Anne. And love.