Wednesday, February 27, 2013

How Reya got her groove back



Today was the first day I've felt like myself in several weeks, maybe even since my trip to Kansas City last December. A lot has been going on. I might as well admit that I didn't plan for this transition to age 60 to be such a big deal. I thought it through carefully and had an appropriate plan for dealing with it, but alas I was in no better shape to face the music than anyone else. It's big, even for the most nonchalant.

But this morning when I woke up, I felt different, a bit more centered. I felt energetic even though I didn't sleep well last night. When I wake up happy, it sets a tone for the whole day. I feel like I'm back to myself at last. It's a new normal, but it's feeling more normal. Thank God.

It was warm enough today that I didn't have to swaddle myself with winter outerwear. The sky was full of really cool clouds. I had tea with a friend I haven't seen in awhile, a fellow shaman, and worked a little bit, too. A good day.



Another wonderful thing about today is that I was invited to be present at the unveiling of the Rosa Parks statue in the hall of statues at the U.S. Capitol.

Oh man, I love being inside that building. I consider the Capitol to be a good friend. We hang out a lot but it's a rare treat these days to get inside its head. I mean that literally, of course. I feel so at home in the rotunda, as if I belong there.

After the ceremony I wandered around for awhile, up and down stairways, up and down the hallways. I always try to see another nook or cranny of the building when I get a chance, which isn't often since 9/11. The floors and ceilings are elaborately tiled all over the building, not just in the official rooms like the rotunda and hall of statues. There are incredible paintings hanging everywhere. The sconces and light fixtures are gorgeous. I love it so much.

I was in a reverie, walking around. At some point I realized I was completely lost. Eventually I found my way out. It was very fun.

The dust is settling from the birthday. I'm tired of thinking about it and my energy is returning. Moving on!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos Reya. I am feeling a little starved for culture here in little old Adelaide, South Australia - I envy that these beautiful and historical places are close for you but thankful that you can share them here for us to enjoy.

Reya Mellicker said...

The building is 7 blocks away from the chateau. I'm very lucky!

Steve Reed said...

How cool! Do you have a photo of the Rosa Parks statue? I wonder what Rosa Parks would think if she'd been told back in the 1950s that someday there would be a statue of her in the U.S. Capitol.

Reya Mellicker said...

Steve I posted a bunch of pics on Facebook. The statue is graceful and appears to be made of beeswax. I'm sure that's not true, but I couldn't get close enough to tell the difference.

ellen abbott said...

Yes, eventually the shock wears off and life returns to normal.

Moonroot said...

I am glad you got your groove back! I am turning 50 in July, any tips?

Reya Mellicker said...

Fifty is awesome, Moonroot. You will love it immediately. 49 is tough - 7 x 7. I'm so happy for you!