Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Who knows?



According to the cosmology of Reya, weather is the emotional body of the Earth. Though there are general currents and flows to the weather, you know, rainy seasons, winter and summer, etc. the specifics of how these seasons and currents unfold is almost always unpredictable, similar to the complexities of human emotions.

Though we might know we're generally cheerful or moody, our own emotions can change on a dime, sometimes for no discernable reason. I believe that's why we value our rational function. It makes sense whereas our emotions are completely crazy.

As far as the emotional body of the earth, even the Farmers Almanac doesn't always get what's about to happen, even the woolly caterpillars and fluffy squirrel nests and gigantic rosehips are sometimes wrong (though the green world and non-human animal world is often closer to the mark than the smartest meteorological minds.)



Sometimes we guess right, but still it's hard to say why a certain winter is colder than others or why in one winter there will be so much snow in - say - Washington DC when my powerful and wounded city hasn't seen a real snow in years.

I know, it's El Nino out in the Pacific that's causing our crazy winter. OK. But what caused El Nino? And - how come NYC isn't part of the pattern? This is a watery planet and I know that the conditions in the oceans create large parts of the weather, but it doesn't account for everything. It's like saying you're in a bad mood because of PMS. Yes - and no. Sometimes the PMS and the resulting crankiness is better, sometimes worse.

Earth is not an even-tempered planet. She gets in moods, she does. Or maybe I could blame the weather gods for this onslaught of snow. Do you think? I know I will have plenty of time to think about it since tonight and tomorrow we are going to receive yet another foot plus of snow. I was in denial yesterday but this morning it is overcast and smells of the white stuff.

Maybe the weather gods would like cooler heads to prevail in DC, hence all the snow. I like that rationalization, oh yeah. What do you think?

22 comments:

ellen abbott said...

If it cools off the heads in Washington, then it will be worth it.

California Girl said...

I think those children are adorable with their little red cheeks.

Reya Mellicker said...

They were so thrilled to be inside the igloo. Very cute.

Ellen, even I, a Great Lover of Snow, am becoming discouraged by the forecast. How many snowtinis must we drink to appease the Snow Gods?

Linda Sue said...

Love the shot of disabled autos, under the big hand of weighty snow- Like "enough already!"
Igloo- way cool in every sense! Those children will always remember this as the best winter ever! and snowtinis- no compoaints...although On NPR this morning news of more to come...hang in there little snowdrop!

Reya Mellicker said...

We're hunkering down for the next onslaught. Ready for the snowtinis, oh yeah!

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Starting to a comment on a blog you've been reading is a little like jumping on a moving train.

I've been enjoying your blog for a couple of weeks now. I'm jumping on the comment train today because just yesterday I was reading my Essential Rumi, and translator Coleman Barks, discussing Rumi's poems about spring said:

"For a mystic, the inner world is a weather that contains the universe and uses it as symbolic language."

Mrsupole said...

That is one cool igloo and if the snow gods had not been out in full force then no one would have enjoyed it.

Whatever happens you do have the choice of making lemonade or not and so it is best to enjoy whatever comes your way, because one can never control what nature chooses to do. And you do have a right to get sick of it too, but life is what you make of it. And snowtinis sound like a good thing to be making for the next few days. Next year you might be wishing you could make a few of them and you might not be able to.

Snow!

Suck it up today
Winter snow blasts at you fast
Snowballs hit then gone

That is my third Haiku attempt, I hope you like it. I think I am on my way to an addiction to them.

Rain poured here last night, and the rain gods are blessing us with their tears of joy for El Nino coming back. They are then passing the torch to the snow gods and you are then blessed with their dandruff flakes. Oh the gods are so funny with all the tricks they play. Don't you just love them.

God bless.

Reya Mellicker said...

Hi Pollinatrix! Welcome!!
Everything Rumi said makes sense to me. Thank you.

Mrsupole you always know how to rock the positive. Brava!!

Tess Kincaid said...

Hunker!!! It's comin' down fast and furious here. At least six inches in the last three hours, and it's headed your way!

Mary Ellen said...

I'm totally in agreement about the inner+outer weather, especially in terms of mental energy and clarity coinciding with bright, stable weather. The effects of your DC snow onslaught has been amazing - and another foot to come!

Ronda Laveen said...

Maybe Mother Earth is having a hot flash and needs a little cool down, or rather, a lot of cool down. We are getting rain like you are getting snow. Right now, we are going into an every other day pattern. It is a sign of abundance.

I've consulted the Oracle of Snowtinis. Apparently, you've not reached your quota. Bottoms Up, sistah!

Ronda Laveen said...

Oh, love, LOve, LOVE the igloo shots. The kids inside, with their rosy cheeks and the light cracking through the blocks of snow is so cool.

Lynne said...

Wow Reya. I thought this storm was kind of going to miss you, but another foot??? We are supposed to get this one, but not a foot. I am skeptical of it doing anything, but we shall see, won't we?

Love the igloo and the little kids inside having so much fun! When I was little my dad built me a snow igloo too. Now we can't find that photo anywhere, it's too bad.

Hang in there, Reya! Snowtinis indeed!

Reya Mellicker said...

Ronda how many times can I say I LOVE YOU! Hoping someone brings home the vodka.

It's snowing, but the weather people now believe it will be "only" 10 inches or so in DC. Hope they are right!

Willow I've got my woolly socks on, nice chicken stew on the stove and if I had a martini in my hand, all would be well. OK. Everything is fine, vodka or no vodka. Really.

Reya Mellicker said...

Lynne I HOPE you get the snow. I really do.

steven said...

reya i think that snow softens. it softens. it takes edges and curves them. the world we wish for is curved not straight. here you are! here's an igloo. round and made from blocks. what can you learn from that?!!! huff back a snowtini for me. i don't drink the hard stuff anymore so you're up on the front lines for me unless it's beer or wine!!! go girl!!! mmmmwaaahhhh! steven

Delwyn said...

Hi Reya

thank you for showing what this weather, that you are experiencing, is really like.

even the buried cars look like igloos.

Happy days

mouse (aka kimy) said...

wild ....kind of disappointed i won't be seeing the epic aftermath (& you), but it's the safe thing to do.....

great snaps - yikes the buried cars - dazzling

Barry said...

That is one cool igloo and two amazed children

Even snowless Toronto is getting some snow tonight. I might even get to use my snow shovel for the first time this year.

But I doubt there'll be enough to build an igloo.

Raising Raynor, FidosForFreedom's Puppy-ADIT said...

Oh Yeah! Mother Nature saying: You Wanna See Gridlock? I'll give you Gridlock!! Here's some nice cold snow. So ... Chill! (Senate, Congress, Supreme Court Justices.) You work "for" the PEOPLE, remember?!? Get to it! Otherwise, I might just pile on More Snow! Give you an up close and personal taste of what you are doing to the folks who hired you! Now, get off your duffs and get some real work done! Your country is TIRED OF WAITING!

Steve Reed said...

I'm not sure "Why?" is really a productive question in situations like this, because there's just no answer. I think NYC will be part of this second round, even though we weren't part of the first.

Csobla said...

Jó játék lehetőség volt a hóval idén, mert a Föld északi féltekélyén sokfelé volt nagy tél, sok hóval.